Live Well Sioux Falls Public Health Prevention Coordinator Mary Michaels shares how to give a popular take-out appetizer a heart-healthy makeover. You can find the recipes at the bottom of this article.
In honor of National Skip The Straw Day Sioux Falls’ Sustainability Coordinator, Jessica Sexe, explains more about the danger plastic straws can pose for sea life and how you can help ease those risks, even with an ocean hundreds of miles away.
Realtor Spencer Wilcox recently took on a DIY shiplap project and has some advice you might want to consider before taking on shiplap at home.
Asian Cole Slaw & Egg Roll Bowl Recipes:
Asian Cole Slaw (4 servings)
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons canola oil (or olive oil)
2 ½ teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
Pinch sugar substitute
2 cups** red cabbage (shredded, about 1/2 head)
2 cups** green cabbage (shredded, about 1/2 head)
2 cups** carrots (shredded, about 4 carrots)
to taste kosher salt
to taste black pepper (ground)
** Note: You can substitute packaged cole slaw mix for the cabbage and carrots
Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds and toast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer seeds to a small bowl and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together rice vinegar, vegetable oil, soy sauce, sesame oil and pinch of a sugar substitute. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine shredded cabbages and carrots. Toss to combine. Add vinegar mixture and toss to coat. Season with kosher salt and ground pepper, to taste.
To serve, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
Egg Roll in a Bowl (serves 4)
- 1 tsp minced ginger (or ¼ tsp ground ginger)
- 4 1⁄2 cup(s) packaged coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 1⁄2cup(s) shredded carrot(s)
- 3 medium cooked scallion(s)
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tsp sesame oil
- Pinch of sugar substitute
- 1 pound(s) uncooked ground chicken breast (can substitute ground pork, ground turkey, or turkey sausage)
- Brown the meat in a medium non-stick skillet until cooked through, and then add the ginger.
- Add soy sauce, sugar substitute, and sesame oil.
- Add full bag of coleslaw, stir till coated with sauce
- Add 1/2 bag of shredded carrots, stir to coat with sauce
- Add chopped scallions, mix thoroughly and cook on medium high heat until the coleslaw has reduced by half.