More than a month after North Korea pledged to immediately return some American war dead, the promise is unfulfilled.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Wednesday the return could begin “in the next couple of weeks.”
But it could take months or years to positively identify the bones.
Pompeo traveled to Pyongyang earlier this month to press the North Koreans further.
In a joint statement at their Singapore summit, President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un committed to recovering the remains of prisoners of war and MIAs who are unaccounted for decades after the Korean War — “including the immediate repatriation of those already identified.”
That was June 12. Although Trump said eight days later that the repatriation had happened, it had not. It still has not.