According to the City of Kannapolis, Sgt. Dot Cole is the oldest living Marine.
She joined the Marine Corps during World War II in 1943.
Sgt. Cole completed her training at Camp Lejeune and was then stationed at Quantico. City officials say she primarily served in an administrative role.
Last month, another North Carolina woman celebrated a monumental birthday. Hester Ford turned 116, making her the oldest living person in the United States.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- Tuesday sports broadcast – October 20th
- The snow this week is just an early taste of what’s ahead as real winter arrives in the coming weeks
- Eye On KELOLAND: Securing the vote
- Family of man who died after COVID-19 battle calls on public to wear masks, social distance
- Councilors Erickson, Brekke, Starr and Selberg weigh in on the idea of a mask mandate