According to the City of Kannapolis, Sgt. Dot Cole is the oldest living Marine.
She joined the Marine Corps during World War II in 1943.
Sgt. Cole completed her training at Camp Lejeune and was then stationed at Quantico. City officials say she primarily served in an administrative role.
Last month, another North Carolina woman celebrated a monumental birthday. Hester Ford turned 116, making her the oldest living person in the United States.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- Man loses hunting privileges for life in 48 states after Colorado poaching spree
- Farmers and ranchers are experiencing more mental health issues during the pandemic
- COVID-19 in South Dakota: 182 total new cases; Death toll remains at 1,888; Active cases at 1,975
- Senate Judiciary kills HB 1140
- Money for National Guard readiness center in Sioux Falls clears another key legislative panel