Mother Shares Son’s Story Of Accidental Fentanyl Overdose

News

Breaking the stigma about addiction and getting treatment is what one woman is doing after her family lost their son to an accidental overdose. 

During an addiction and suicide conference in Sioux Falls, Denise Blomberg is sharing the story of her son Ryan.  The 26-year-old died this past April from an accidental fentanyl overdose.

“It was not Ryan’s intention to die, he had been in recovery in the Twin Cities for nearly two years,” Ryan’s mom, Denise Blomberg said.

Blomberg says her family noticed a downward spiral the summer after he graduated high school.

“Started out with the usual precursors, cigarette smoking, marijuana usage, and kind of moved into prescription opioids that he was not prescribed, and then into heroin,” Blomberg said.

In spring of 2016, Blomberg says Ryan started getting treatment.

“Ryan realized that things had really gotten out of control and then in a very dark downward spiral for years it’s time to do something and we felt our best decision was to go to Hazelden in Center City, Minnesota,” Blomberg said.

But after about two years, Ryan relapsed.

“Have his life taken by what he thought was a hit of heroin in a relapse moment, ended up being enough fentanyl to kill five people,” Blomberg said.

Now Blomberg is working to share a message.

“It is our goal as parents and as a family to erase the stigma behind addiction and treatment and make a difference in the life of another family so that they don’t have to go through what we have,” Blomberg said.
 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories


 

Don't Miss!

More Don't Miss

Our Contests

More Contests