SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KELO) — While the main piece of a strong storm quickly passed through Minnehaha County and Sioux Falls, high winds and heavy rain continued through until around 5 p.m. as storm began to move out of the area.

It was a two-plus hour story of a storm. The main part of the storm started churning through the county just after 3 p.m. That brought hail, rain and some wind.

But the second storm or the “aftershock” as one Sioux Falls resident described it brought heavy rain and still more wind.

At around 4:44 p.m., the city of Sioux Falls asked people to shelter in place because of storm damage. There were 13,000 customers without power at the time.

The city of Sioux Falls reported some vehicles were stranded with street flooding. The city said to avoid travel as of 4:34 p.m. There were also reports of downed power lines.

Wind and lots of rainfall were still the concern even in the Sioux Falls area as the bulk of the main storm moved into northwest Iowa and southwest Minnesota.

“I’m sure your trees are shaky in Sioux Falls,” KELOLAND Meteorologist Jay Trobec said of the wind that arrived after the main storm system had moved on.

Karel Williams has several tall trees in her yard on Holly Street just a few blocks from the Veterans Administration. “I can’t believe it,” Williams said of the wind.

Williams said the wind blew at least 80 mph as it bent her tall trees over.

“It (wind) was not too bad but then there was this aftershock,” Williams said. “I have never seen that before and I was born and raised in South Dakota.”

The aftershock was the wind that came after the main part of the system moved through the area.

“This is just strong, strong wind,” KELOLAND Meteorologist Brian Karstens said.

Another severe thunderstorm warning was issued around 4:30 p.m. until 5:15 p.m. with possible 80 mph winds. This was the second warning of the afternoon.

Brandon was experiencing high winds at around 4:50 p.m. Heavy rain was also falling in Brandon.

At 4:22, a wind of more than 70 mph was reported at the airport in Sioux Falls. By 4:33 p.m., an 80 mph wind was reported.

KELOLAND Meteorologists Trobec, Karstens and Adam Rutt predicted that wind and rain would continue after the main storm system had moved through the area.

‘A long way to go…’

“…there’s a long way to go here,” Karstens said at about 3:49 p.m. of the storm passing through the state.

At 3:53 p.m. wind of 85 mph was reported at Wall Lake. This was after the main system passed through Sioux Falls, meteorologists said.

KELOLAND meteorologists had been reporting about the storm since late in the morning on July 5.

Before its arrival in Minnehaha County, they said at around 3 p.m. the storm would have high winds, possibly as high as 80 mph or more.

Karstens said “good, old-fashioned wind” is following the main the storm. So, the after wind that followed the main storm was expected.

And as the storm reached Sioux Falls, high winds hit just to the west.

Wind speeds of 70 to 80 mph reported near Montrose and Humboldt as of 3:45 p.m.

Trobec and Karstens pointed out that high wind reports continued near Hartford, Montrose and Humboldt as of 3:50 p.m.

Rutt said an 83 mph reading was about 800 feet above the ground.

Rutt said he was seeing some “incredible” wind speeds. The highest speed as of 3:45 p.m. was 96 mph at the Huron airport.

A tornado warning had been issued for northwestern Minnehaha County as of 3:09 p.m. The warning expired as of 3:45 p.m. and that was before the additional reports of high winds.

The sky turned dark

As of 3:39 p.m., the sky had turned green and dark as the storm hit downtown Sioux Falls. KELOLAND Meteorologists said the storm should be in Sioux Falls for about another half hour or so.

The storm started moving through Sioux falls at around 3:30 p.m.

The southwestern side of Sioux Falls was getting the wind as of 3:32 p.m., KELOLAND Meteorologists said. The west side had reported winds of at least 60 mph.

The wind had hit 41st Street and was headed to the central part of the city including downtown as of 3:35 p.m., KELOLAND Meteorologists said. Heavy rain was falling in 41st Street as of 3:36 p.m.

Rutt said at 3:29 p.m. that the Beresford area had about 29 minutes before the storm reached the area.

Brian Kruse of Canistota in McCook County said sirens were sounded the city. Kruse said the city is experiencing high winds and small hail just after 3 p.m.

The National Weather Service issued at 3:25 p.m. a severe thunderstorm for the area until 4:15 p.m.

  • KELOLAND Closeline for the latest closings and delays
  • Live cams to see what the weather is doing across South Dakota
  • Weather alerts for updated watches and warnings
  • KELOLAND weather radar to track stormsDownload the
  • KELOLAND Storm Tracker app
  • Sign up for KELOLAND newsletters delivered to your email inbox
  • The main storm system was moving off to the east into northwest Iowa and southwest Minnesota as of 3:50 p.m. but winds would continue for a time in Sioux Falls and Minnehaha and Lincoln County. The storm had winded down in eastern South Dakota by 5:24 p.m.