SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KELO) — Court documents explain a connection between the officer-involved shooting on Tuesday night and the man accused of firing a gun into the air after asking some people if they were state employees.

Thursday night, authorities arrested Elliot Bird following a standoff.

Police say officers spotted Bird and 24-year-old Trevor Swift Eagle driving and tried pulling them over near the 1000 block of North Covell Avenue. The two men got out and ran into an apartment building, barricading themselves inside.

Officers believed the suspects were armed, so the SWAT team was called to the scene. Police say several residents in the area were sheltered in place and some were evacuated.

After several hours, Bird and Swift Eagle were taken into custody without incident.

On Friday, Lt. Adam Petersen says police believe Bird’s comments about state workers were connected to the deadly traffic stop. In an affidavit, one of the people allegedly confronted by Bird told police the suspect said, “he was going to kill someone from the city because they killed his brother.”

Authorities have not released the name of the man killed in the officer involved shooting.

The case has been turned over to the state DCI, which is protocol.

Posted at 2 a.m. CT

The man accused of firing a gun into the air after a group of workers told him they weren’t state employees has been arrested after a standoff.

Sioux Falls Police say officers were looking for 27-year-old Elliot Bird when they tried to pull him and 24-year-old Trevor Swift Eagle over.

The two men ran and went into an apartment building. They then barricaded themselves inside. Both were believed to be armed.

Sioux Falls SWAT was called to the scene, while residents were asked to shelter in place or evacuate. After several hours, both Bird and Swift Eagle were arrested without incident.

The two men are booked in the Minnehaha County Jail.

More details will be released during this morning’s police briefing. You can watch it live on starting at 10:30 a.m. CT.