Students at SDSU have an unwelcome guest in their campus apartments. There is mold in the Meadows apartment complex.
Faith Shoemaker and Taci Delker are roommates living in Meadows. They first noticed mold in their room a few days ago.
These pictures show the mold in their shower, under their sink, ceiling tiles and vent.
“It was late so we waited until the morning to call anyone and we called housing right away and we talked to someone and they said they would get someone over to look at it,” sophomore Faith Shoemaker said.
“Meadows is kind of expensive so we were expecting not to live in mold,” sophomore Taci Delker said.
School officials say they’ve inspected all 80 apartments in the two complexes. They found mold inside 15 of them.
“Some of those were very easy to take care of, where we had a known source of moisture, a kitchen or bathroom sink, or an air conditioner so those have been taken care of,” associate vice president for student affairs, Doug Wermedal said.
Wermedal says they’ve installed dehumidifiers in most of the apartments, and will soon be adding air purifiers.
“We will be going back in over the next two weeks to install those air purifiers and then to make sure the dehumidifiers did what they are supposed to do,” Wermedal said.
These students say while it is frustrating, they’re glad the university is responding quickly.
“I hope that they look into this and realize it’s kind of a big deal,” Shoemaker said.
Wermedal says they’ve done testing and it’s not black mold, but instead a common household mold. Students were moved out of three units. He also adds that they will be continuing to inspect the apartments and will also be working on installing a better ventilation system.