We now know the cause of the fire at the Minnehaha County Correction Center last month. Fire officials say it was accidentally started by a cigarette butt in a holder in the corner of the building. 

“It sat, it smoldered for quite a few minutes and then started the fire,” Dean Lanier with Sioux Falls Fire Rescue said. 

80 inmates were displaced. Some have been moved to the downtown jail, however space there is limited as we’ve been reporting for the last few months.

In a temporary fix, the County Commission approved moving some inmates to Charles Mix and Faulk Counties.