SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KELO) — As coronavirus cases in South Dakota continue to increase, medical and business organizations alike are calling for more help from the public.
Rallying behind the message “Mask Up South Dakota” and #MaskUpSoDak, the South Dakota State Medical Association announced the support of 30+ organizations to support maskings as a way to curb the spread of COVID-19.
Dr. Ben Aaker, president of the SDMA, spoke during a news conference Tuesday afternoon. You can watch the news conference in the player above.
Dr. Aaker cited Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance that wearing masks can help communities slow the spread of COVID-19 when worn consistently and correctly by a majority of people in public settings.
Avera Health, Sanford Health and Monument Health as well as the South Dakota Nurses Association (SDNA), South Dakota Association of Healthcare Organizations (SDAHO), South Dakota Municipal League, South Dakota Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Greater Sioux Falls Chamber of Commerce, Associated School Boards of South Dakota, and School Administrators of South Dakota and the Great Plains Tribal Leaders Health Board supported the call to promote masking.
The other organizations supporting “Mask Up South Dakota” are listed below.
- AARP South Dakota
- American Cancer Society
- American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network
- Black Hills District Medical Society
- Community HealthCare Association of the Dakotas (CHAD)
- District 7 Medical Society (Sioux falls & surrounding communities)
- Humphreys Forum: A Collaboration of Sioux Falls Infectious Disease Physicians
- Huron District Medical Society
- Immunize South Dakota
- Mitchell District Medical Society
- Pierre District Medical Society
- South Dakota Academy of Family Physicians
- South Dakota Academy of Ophthalmology
- South Dakota Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics
- South Dakota Chapter, American College of Emergency Physicians
- South Dakota Chapter, American College of Physicians
- South Dakota Chapter, American College of Surgeons
- South Dakota Council of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- South Dakota Pathology Society
- South Dakota Pharmacists Association
- South Dakota Psychiatric Association
- South Dakota Public Health Association
- South Dakota Section, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- South Dakota Society of Anesthesiologists
- Yankton District Medical Society