An insane asylum for Native Americans once stood on the eastern edge of Canton, SD. What it was supposed to be and what happened there are two very different stories.
On this edition of Inside KELOLAND, we talk with the Keepers of Hiawatha about the secrets they’re uncovering of the mistreatment at the facility.
National archives catalog of the Canton Insane Asylum
- History of Hiawatha: The threat behind the Indian boarding schools
- Native American artist keeps history of Hiawatha alive
- Carlisle School set the tone for other American Indian boarding schools, historians say
- Nine Rosebud Sioux children finally back home after deaths at boarding school
- South Dakota’s sordid past: Abuse at Indian boarding schools