Evacuations ordered after hit gas line explodes, ignites fire

Local News

RAPID CITY, S.D. (KELO) — A two block radius was evacuated in central Rapid City Monday morning when a broken gas line sparked a fire.

The Rapid City Fire Department says crews were called to 11th and Columbus Streets shortly after 9:30 a.m. for a gas line break. Officials learned that a construction company had struck the line.

About an hour and a half later crews reported hearing and feeling an explosion. Officials say the gas ignited and sparked a fire outside of a home in the 900 block of 11th Street. Crews were able to rescue a dog from the home.

The fire department says the fire quickly spread inside of the home. Authorities evacuated homes in a two-block radius due to safety.

No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Continuing The Conversation
See Full Weather Forecast

Trending Stories

Don't Miss!

More Don't Miss