Updated 10:13 p.m.
VERMILLION, S.D. (KELO) — Crews in Vermillion are responding to a fire on the USD campus.
KELOLAND News spoke with a student at the University of South Dakota who was in the research lab, where they smelled smoke. The alarms went off and students evacuated. The sheriff didn’t have details, but confirms that fire crews responded.
In a release sent to KELOLAND News, officials say a HVAC unit malfunctioned, causing smoke and setting off fire alarms on the 2nd and 3rd floor of the Lee Medical Building. University police and Vermillion fire/EMS responded and located the source of smoke.
Viewer Stacey Cooper sent this video of the fire to KELOLAND News:
We are working on gathering more information and will let you know if there are any developments.
Get the latest KELOLAND News headlines, weather forecasts and sports updates delivered to your email inbox. Click here to sign up!