A closer look at assault suspect and high-profile arrest in Sioux Falls

Local News

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KELO) — Sioux Falls police are conducting an internal review after what’s become a high-profile arrest.

Sioux Falls Police Public Information Officer Sam Clemens says the suspect, 27-year-old Dylan Ites, threatened to kill the victim and strangled her.

“She was able to get away and call 911.  He realized that she had called 911, took that phone away, and then the third time he strangled her again,” Clemens said. “This last time it was to the point where she completely lost consciousness.”

When officers arrived, Ites reportedly tried to run away. Police chased after him through several yards before a K-9 officer spotted him a few blocks away.

“He was trying to hide in a window well, I think everybody’s probably seen the video that kind of kicks in at this point in time, but you have to remember from the K-9 handler’s point of view, he knew that there was an aggravated assault domestic.  He didn’t know what the nature of that was; he didn’t have any details of that.  He just knew that we had a felony assault that had taken place,” Clemens said.

These cases, Clemens says, can involve a knife or gun. He says the officer ordered Ites to get out of the window well five times.

“The guy came up and sat on the edge of the window well and wasn’t following any directions,” Clemens said. “The officer was telling him to get down, to lay down.  He didn’t know if the guy had any weapons on him.  He didn’t know if there was any weapons that may have been hidden in the window well.”

That’s when the K-9 bites Ites, allowing officers to handcuff and arrest him. Ites was treated at a hospital. The department’s internal review will determine if appropriate force was used.

Ites faces several charges, including aggravated domestic assault, kidnapping, resisting arrest, fleeing police and interfering with emergency communication. Bond is set at $10,000.

Ites has been in and out of court since November 20, 2018. He was charged with assault and domestic abuse. He was arrested again on December 11, accused of violating bond. On January 11, 2019, Ites was accused of violating a no contact order, which he pleaded guilty to last week. On April 29, the judge gave him a 45-day sentence with 45 days suspended. That was four days before this latest arrest. 

KELOLAND News also checked his background in Missouri, which includes resisting arrest and a protection order in 2013. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Continuing The Conversation
See Full Weather Forecast

Trending Stories

Don't Miss!

More Don't Miss