Judge Blocks Release Of 3D-Printed Gun Plans

News
3D_Guns_96124-159532.jpg55186652

FILE – In this May 10, 2013, file photo, Cody Wilson holds what he calls a Liberator pistol that was completely made on a 3-D-printer at his home in Austin, Texas. Eight states filed suit Monday, July 30, 2018, against the Trump administration over its decision to allow a Texas company to publish downloadable blueprints […]

A federal judge in Seattle has issued a temporary restraining order to stop the release of blueprints to make untraceable and undetectable 3D-printed plastic guns.
    
Eight Democratic attorneys general filed a lawsuit Monday seeking to block the federal government’s settlement with the company that makes the plans available online. They also sought a restraining order, arguing the 3D guns would be a safety risk.
    
U.S. District Judge Robert Lasnik issued the order Tuesday afternoon.
    
The company behind the plans, Austin, Texas-based Defense Distributed, had reached a settlement with the federal government in June that allows it to make the plans for the guns available for download on Wednesday.
    
The restraining order puts that plan on hold for now.
    
In the meantime, Congressional Democrats have urged President Trump to reverse the decision to let Defense Distributed publish the plans. Trump said Tuesday that he’s “looking into” the idea, saying making 3D plastic guns available to the public “doesn’t seem to make much sense!”


5:30 p.m.
    
The White House is declining to say whether the president thinks blueprints for printing plastic guns should be available to the public.
    
Spokesman Hogan Gidley tells reporters aboard Air Force One that President Donald Trump “is committed to the safety and security of all Americans and considers this his highest responsibility.”
    
Gidley notes that it’s currently illegal to own or make a wholly plastic gun, including any made with a 3D printer, and says the administration supports that law and “will continue to look at all options available to us to do what is necessary to protect Americans while also supporting the First and Second amendments.”
    
Trump had tweeted earlier that he was looking into the issue, adding, “Already spoke to NRA, doesn’t seem to make much sense!”

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Continuing The Conversation
See Full Weather Forecast

Trending Stories

Don't Miss!

More Don't Miss


 

More Contests