ROME (AP) — Expressing alarm both about mounting infections and slow government responses, the World Health Organization declared Wednesday that the global coronavirus crisis is now a pandemic but also said it’s not too late for countries to act.
By reversing course and using the charged word “pandemic” that it had previously shied away from, the U.N. health agency appeared to want to shock lethargic countries into pulling out all the stops.
“We have called every day for countries to take urgent and aggressive action. We have rung the alarm bell loud and clear,” said Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO chief.
“All countries can still change the course of this pandemic. If countries detect, test, treat, isolate, trace and mobilize their people in the response,” he said. “We are deeply concerned by the alarming levels of spread and severity and by the alarming levels of inaction.”
The WHO added that Iran and Italy are the new front lines of the battle against the virus that started in China.
“They’re suffering but I guarantee you other countries will be in that situation soon,” said Dr. Mike Ryan, the WHO’s emergencies chief.
Italy weighed imposing even tighter restrictions on daily life and announced billions in financial relief Wednesday to cushion economic shocks from the coronavirus, its latest efforts to adjust to the fast-evolving health crisis that silenced the usually bustling heart of the Catholic faith, St. Peter’s Square.
In Iran, by far the hardest-hit country in the Middle East, the senior vice president and two other Cabinet ministers were reported to have been diagnosed with COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus. Iran reported another jump in deaths, by 62 to 354 — behind only China and Italy.
In Italy, Premier Giuseppe Conte said he would consider requests from Lombardy, Italy’s hardest-hit region, to toughen the already extraordinary anti-virus lockdown that was extended nationwide Tuesday. Lombardy wants to shut down nonessential businesses and reduce public transportation.
These additional measures would be on top of travel and social restrictions that imposed an eerie hush on cities and towns across the country from Tuesday. Police enforced rules that customers stay 1 meter (3 feet) apart and ensured that businesses closed by 6 p.m.
Milan shopkeeper Claudia Sabbatini said she favored stricter measures. Rather than run the risk of customers possibly infecting each other in her children’s clothing store, she decided to close it.
“I cannot have people standing at a distance. Children must try on the clothes. We have to know if they will fit,’’ she said.
Conte said fighting Italy’s more than 10,000 infections — the biggest outbreak outside of China — must not come at the expense of civil liberties. His caution suggested that Italy is unlikely to adopt the draconian quarantine measures that helped China push down new infections from thousands per day to a trickle now and allowed its manufacturers to restart production lines.
China’s new worry is that the coronavirus could re-enter from abroad. Beijing’s city government announced that all overseas visitors will be quarantined for 14 days. Of 24 new cases that China reported Wednesday, five arrived from Italy and one from the United States. China has had over 81,000 virus infections and over 3,000 deaths.
For most, the coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. But for a few, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illnesses, including pneumonia. More than 121,000 people have been infected worldwide and over 4,300 have died.
But the vast majority of people recover. According to the World Health Organization, people with mild illness recover in about two weeks, while those with more severe illness may take three to six weeks to recover.
In the Mideast, the vast majority of the nearly 10,000 cases are in Iran or involve people who traveled there. Iran announced another increase in cases Wednesday to 9,000. Iran’s semiofficial Fars news agency said they include Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri, who had not been seen in photos of recent top-level meetings. Fars said Iran’s ministers for cultural heritage, handcrafts and tourism, and for industry, mines and business were also infected.
Cases in Qatar jumped from 24 to 262. Kuwait announced a two-week shutdown of the country.
For the global economy, virus repercussions were profound, with increasing concerns of wealth- and job-wrecking recessions. U.S. stocks sank again in early trading Wednesday, wiping out most of a huge rally from a day earlier as Wall Street continues to reel from worries about the coronavirus.
The Wall Street plunge followed a steep decline by markets across Asia, where governments there and elsewhere have announced billions of dollars in stimulus funds, including packages revealed in Japan on Tuesday and Australia on Wednesday.
Italy’s government announced Wednesday it was earmarking 25 billion euros (nearly $28 billion) to boost anti-virus efforts and soften economic blows, including delaying tax and mortgage payments by families and businesses.
Britain’s government announced a 30 billion-pound ($39 billion) economic stimulus package and the Bank of England slashed its key interest rate by half a percentage point to 0.25%.
Normal life was increasingly being upended.
With police barring access to St. Peter’s Square, emptying it of tens of thousands of people who usually come on Wednesdays for the weekly papal address, Pope Francis instead live-streamed prayers from the privacy of his Vatican library.
In France, the government’s weekly Cabinet meeting was moved to a bigger room so President Emmanuel Macron and his ministers could sit at least 1 meter (more than 3 feet) apart.
Athletes who usually thrive on crowds grew increasingly wary of them. Spanish soccer club Getafe said it wouldn’t travel to Italy to play Inter Milan, preferring to forfeit their Europa League match rather than risk infections.
Olympic champion skier Mikaela Shiffrin said she would be limiting contact with fans and fellow competitors, tweeting that “this means no selfies, autographs, hugs, high fives, handshakes or kiss greetings.”
In the U.S., the caseload passed 1,000, and outbreaks on both sides of the country stirred alarm.
Former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders, who are vying to take on President Donald Trump in the presidential election, abruptly canceled rallies Tuesday and left open the possibility that future campaign events could be impacted, too. Trump’s campaign insisted it would proceed as normal, although Vice President Mike Pence conceded future rallies would be evaluated “on a day to day basis.”
In Europe, deaths soared among Italy’s aging population. Authorities said Italy has suffered 631 deaths, with an increase of 168 fatalities recorded Tuesday. In Spain, the number of cases surged past the 2,000-mark on Wednesday. Belgium, Bulgaria, Sweden, Albania and Ireland all announced their first virus-related deaths.
“If you want to be blunt, Europe is the new China,” said Robert Redfield, the head of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Also sounding the alarm at a Congressional hearing in Washington was Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
“Bottom line, it’s going to get worse,” he said.
In Germany, Chancellor Angela Merkel said that if the virus is not halted by vaccines and cures, up to 70% of the country’s 83 million people could ultimately become infected, citing estimates that epidemiologists have been putting forward for several weeks. Germany has some 1,300 confirmed infection. Merkel’s comments fit a pattern of government officials using sobering warnings to try to get people to protect themselves, most notably by washing their hands and not gathering in large numbers.
Dozens of cases have been tied to a conference in Boston, and leaders in multiple states were announcing curbs on large events. Colleges emptied their classrooms as they moved to online instruction and uncertainty surrounded the upcoming opening of the major league baseball season and college basketball’s championships. Even the famed buffets of Las Vegas were affected, with some of the Strip’s biggest being closed as a precaution.
“It’s terrifying,” said Silvana Gomez, a student at Harvard University, where undergraduates were told to leave campus by Sunday. “I’m definitely very scared right now about what the next couple days, the next couple weeks look like.”
Your Guide To
KELOLAND News is covering the COVID-19 pandemic. This is your guide to everything you need to know to prepare. We also have the latest stories from across the globe feeding into this page.
- Less than 1% of SF School District students, staff have tested positive for COVID-19Sioux Falls School District Superintendent Jane Stavem says at the moment, less than 1% of both students and staff have tested positive for COVID-19; Stavem says it’s .11% for students and .37% for staff. Stavem also shared information on quarantines and hospitalizations.
- PBR event coming to Sioux Falls in NovemberSIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KELO) – After cancellations and postponements of concerts and other events at the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center this year due to the pandemic, the venue will once again be welcoming fans.
- KELOLAND man with COVID-19 claims Sioux Falls hospital ran out of bed space, hospital respondsA KELOLAND man was shocked to discover he had COVID-19, and was just as surprised when, as he claims, a Sioux Falls hospital didn’t have room for him. As cases rise, we’ve heard some concerns about hospitals transferring patients due to lack of room. State health officials say there is no need to transfer people out of state because we still have the room here in South Dakota hospitals and they have no information about hospitals doing so. However, John Bjorkman says that’s not what happened to him. Bjorkman considers himself an active person. Right now, though, walking across his hospital room is a big accomplishment. “It’s not like me to lay around at all,” Bjorkman said. Bjorkman found out he had COVID a few weeks ago. “It almost burns the side of your lung. The air part that’s coming down. It just burns, it hurts,” Bjorkman said. He went to the Avera Hospital in DeSmet, but wasn’t getting better. He says staff called a specialist in Sioux Falls about transferring him here, and says he heard the doctor say this: “I heard him saying, ‘well, we have no beds here in Sioux Falls. No beds,'” Bjorkman said. Bjorkman is now in the ICU at a hospital in Marshall, Minnesota, where he got remdesivir and plasma treatments. “It was pretty scary. I’ll tell you that. If I wouldn’t have got that, Brady, I don’t know if I’d be here right now,” Bjorkman said. Vice president of Avera Medical Group Clinical Quality, Dr. David Basel, says, as a whole, the system is not overcapacity. He says bed availability depends on the day or even the hour. “Every day it’s a complex balance between patients coming in and patients coming out. Sometimes there’s an hour or two before the bed opens up that we put someone there, so it’s not uncommon,” Basel said. Basel also points out Avera’s network and bed capacity covers a lot of ground in multiple states. “That’s not an uncommon occurrence that we have a patient would go from one side of the border to another side of the border. It’s more about what’s available at the hospital and the level of care provided there,” Basel said. We also asked Sanford Health about claims local hospitals are turning patients away due to running out of beds. “No, it’s not true. We’re prioritizing patients based on need. We always have the feeling people would have the best care as close to home as possible. So, we may prioritize, so if there are several locations sending patients to Sioux Falls, we’ll maybe take the patients with the greatest need first,” Dr. Mike Wilde, VP Medical Officer for Sanford Health, said. Bjorkman is hopeful he’ll recover soon, and says he’s getting great care in Minnesota. However, he’s still troubled by not being able to get in to a hospital bed in South Dakota. “It disappointed me a little. I’ll be honest. You know, you hear the secretary of health talk, ‘Oh, we have 1,043 beds. 260 of them are ICU capable. Well, where are they? If they’re in the state of South Dakota, where are they and what good are they if you can’t treat the person once he gets in?”
This is a developing story; look for updates here as new information is confirmed.
© 2020 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. Material may not be redistributed.