A Barn Fire Near Mitchell Took The Lives Of Many Rescue Animals

News

A barn fire near Mitchell took not only the barn, but most of the animals in it as well. 

A barn that used to house many of the animals Shelby Holmberg took care of was ablaze on Monday. 

“They’re guessing an electrical fire, whether it was wiring or heat lamps. It’s hard not to have a heated barn, but they run that risk. Anything can happen,” Shelby Holmberg said.

Only one animal survived the Monday night fire — a pig named Archie.

“He saved himself. He got himself out. He definitely went back for his girlfriend and tried to save her. That will be something that hangs with me for a long time, but he got out,” Shelby Holmberg said.

Creekside Veterinary Clinic stepped up to help Archie who was suffering from burns and smoke inhalation.

“They were like what can we do? Put us someplace to help. I wasn’t even thinking they’d house him, and they took him in, they boarded him, they treated him, got him oxygen and medicine and we just got him back home so that feels pretty good,” Shelby Holmberg said.

“We just told her well if she wanted to bring him in we’d check him out,” David Thompson said.

Creekside normally doesn’t house animals, but due to the situation and a relationship with Fur Get Me Not, they were glad to provide some aid.

“She comes in all the time with cats and dogs and once we found out she was having troubles we just wanted to help her out,” David Thompson said.

While she lost a lot… with the help of local firefighters and Creekside Veterinary Clinic Holmberg says she’s still able to continue to operate her animal care center. 

Fur Get Me Not will be having an adoption event February 9th from 9 to 4, as well as Valentine’s Day photos with your pet – All proceeds go to the rescue.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Continuing The Conversation
See Full Weather Forecast

Trending Stories

Don't Miss!

More Don't Miss