SIOUX FALLS, SD -
The charred remains of a mattress are about the only signs of the fire call to 1929 E. 33rd Street North in Sioux Falls just after 3:30 Wednesday morning. Fire officials say the fire started when bedding fell on a burning candle.
"A smoke detector is our first line of defense, our first warning that there's something wrong, that there is a fire in our house," Inspector Barry Maag of Sioux Falls Fire Rescue said.
But the home on E. 33rd Street didn't have a working smoke detector. Fire officials say that's not a good situation for anyone. While fire officials say this is an unfortunate situation, it is also a good reminder for everyone to make sure your smoke detectors are working and the batteries are fully charged.
"With today's materials that we're furnishing our houses with, a fire will double in size every 30 seconds with the available fuel there," Maag said.
That's why Sioux Falls Fire Rescue officials say those involved here can consider themselves extremely lucky.
"Nobody was hurt and everybody got up and got out safely and that's the thing that's really fortunate," Maag said.
And now fire officials hope others take note and ensure their smoke alarms are working properly because a fire can happen in any home, at any time.
Fire inspectors add that it's a good idea to check the batteries in your smoke detectors monthly. They say by the time a detector is beeping because of a low battery, it is often too late.
© 2012 KELOLAND TV. All Rights Reserved.