Saturday Midday Business Brief
December 29, 2012, 12:29 PM
- Stocks fell for a fifth day Friday on concern that Washington lawmakers will fail to reach a budget deal before a year-end deadline. The five-day losing streak for the Dow Jones industrial average was the longest since July. The Dow lost 158 points to close at 12,938 Friday. The Standard & Poor 500 index fell 15 points and the Nasdaq dropped 25 points.
- The price of oil fell slightly on Friday, as the stock market drifted lower and efforts continued in Washington to strike a deal to avoid the "fiscal cliff." U.S. benchmark crude fell 7 cents to finish at $90.80 a barrel. Traders are also weighing rising energy supplies. The Energy Department says crude supplies fell last week but were still 13 percent above year-ago levels.
- A deal has been struck that for now averts a strike by longshoremen at major ports on the East Coast and Gulf of Mexico. A federal mediator announced Friday that an expired contract for 14,500 union workers would be extended until early February while negotiations continue. The mediator says there have been major steps forward toward resolving the dispute.
- A plaintiffs' attorney says a federal judge in California has given preliminary approval to a $1 billion-plus settlement with Toyota in cases involving unintended acceleration problems in its vehicles. Attorney Steve Berman says the judge gave swift initial approval Friday. The judge will hold a fairness hearing on June 13 and consider granting final approval to the deal.
- Netflix CEO Reed Hastings' pay will double to $4 million next year, after he took a pay cut due to management missteps this year. According to a securities filing on Friday
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
3/27/2015 4:51 PM
The same company that designs BMX bike tracks for the Olympics is coming to South Dakota to create Brookings' newest park.
3/25/2015 6:06 PM
The speed limit is only going up on stretches of road where the limit was 75 miles per hour, now going up to 80 mph.
3/25/2015 9:54 AM
Barbara Ortiz Howard already has a day job maintaining apartment buildings near New York City. Now she has a second job and it's all about money. ...
3/24/2015 3:48 PM
Sioux Falls will soon be home to a second Silverstar Car Wash.
3/23/2015 5:00 PM
Drive down Minnesota Avenue and you'll see the changes. New signals are controlling traffic at several intersections along the busy Sioux Falls st...