HARTFORD, SD -
An afternoon fire heavily damaged a Hartford business on Wednesday. Fire crews from Hartford and Humboldt responded to a call at Beaverbuilt, Inc. on Highway 38 in Hartford at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon.
“It's too bad. I feel bad for [the owners]; this time of year too. It's his business,” Cheryl Holmes said, who works nearby. “I heard a boom. And then a customer came in and asked, ‘Did you know the building to the west of you is on fire?’”
It took crews less than a half hour to put the flames out. They stayed at the scene for several more hours, removing rubble from the rear of the building to extinguish anything that could spark another blaze.
According to Beaverbuilt, Inc.’s company website, the metal fabrication business opened in 1995.
“There was smoke coming out of the two front garage doors. And it was black smoke. Another customer standing there called 9-1-1,” Holmes said.
Fire officials refused to give details at the scene.
Bystanders say no one was hurt, though there was extensive damage inside.
© 2012 KELOLAND TV. All Rights Reserved.