Thursday Evening Business Brief
December 13, 2012, 5:23 PM
- Stocks declined today, interrupting the recent winning streak for the blue chips. The Dow fell nearly 75 points, or 0.6 percent, to 13,171. The S&P was down 9 points, while the Nasdaq slipped 22 points.
- The White House says President Barack Obama is meeting with House Speaker John Boehner this evening at the White House amid negotiations on the "fiscal cliff." The meeting comes with Boehner accusing Obama of dragging out negotiations on any agreement to avoid a series of wide-ranging tax increases and spending.
- A new report today suggests consumers were spending last month largely undaunted by the damage caused by Superstorm Sandy. The Commerce Department says retail sales were up 0.3 percent, reversing a decline in October.
- This Christmas travel season could be the busiest in six years. AAA predicts that 93 million Americans will hit the road. That is up 1.6 percent from last year and just shy of the record level of travel in 2006.
- American Airlines pilots say their CEO is making his case for remaining an independent company, but the union wants a merger with US Airways. The union says its board will meet with US Airways' top two executives next week. CEO Thomas Horton met for three hours today with directors of the Allied Pilots Association.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
7/23/2014 6:30 AM
605 Running Co., 124 S. Phillips Avenue, just opened its doors on Friday. It's a big grand opening for the store, but also for Downtown ...
7/22/2014 11:23 AM
A Central California company has issued a voluntary nationwide recall of specific lots of its fresh peaches, plums, nectarines and pluots over concern...
7/22/2014 6:10 PM
Sioux Falls latest Walmart store is preparing to open in just a few weeks.
7/22/2014 10:10 PM
78 million Baby Boomers are retiring or preparing to retire. The question they all face is when to draw their Social Security benefits.
7/21/2014 3:02 PM
Dethroned cyclist Lance Armstrong has been named the official grand marshal of the mayor's ride to kick off the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.