Thursday Evening Business Brief
December 13, 2012, 5:23 PM
- Stocks declined today, interrupting the recent winning streak for the blue chips. The Dow fell nearly 75 points, or 0.6 percent, to 13,171. The S&P was down 9 points, while the Nasdaq slipped 22 points.
- The White House says President Barack Obama is meeting with House Speaker John Boehner this evening at the White House amid negotiations on the "fiscal cliff." The meeting comes with Boehner accusing Obama of dragging out negotiations on any agreement to avoid a series of wide-ranging tax increases and spending.
- A new report today suggests consumers were spending last month largely undaunted by the damage caused by Superstorm Sandy. The Commerce Department says retail sales were up 0.3 percent, reversing a decline in October.
- This Christmas travel season could be the busiest in six years. AAA predicts that 93 million Americans will hit the road. That is up 1.6 percent from last year and just shy of the record level of travel in 2006.
- American Airlines pilots say their CEO is making his case for remaining an independent company, but the union wants a merger with US Airways. The union says its board will meet with US Airways' top two executives next week. CEO Thomas Horton met for three hours today with directors of the Allied Pilots Association.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
10/20/2014 12:18 PM
Prime real estate on 41st Street in Sioux Falls is for sale. Valentino's Restaurant at 41st Street and Western Avenue has been listed for $1.35 mi...
10/17/2014 12:10 PM
A South Dakotan is a winner on the Allegiant Airlines' first in-flight game show called "The Game Plane." The reality show is film...
10/20/2014 12:31 PM
A longtime fast food option in Sioux Falls, the Long John Silver's restaurant is closing after more than 30 years in business.
10/15/2014 11:45 AM
Unglued: Christmas Market, will open in the space formerly occupied by the Book Shop in the Carpenter Building on Phillips Avenue from Nov. 20 through...
10/17/2014 2:15 PM
It was only a matter of time before scammers started capitalizing on the Ebola scare. The Better Business Bureau is warning consumers about a va...