Thursday Evening Business Brief
December 13, 2012, 5:23 PM
- Stocks declined today, interrupting the recent winning streak for the blue chips. The Dow fell nearly 75 points, or 0.6 percent, to 13,171. The S&P was down 9 points, while the Nasdaq slipped 22 points.
- The White House says President Barack Obama is meeting with House Speaker John Boehner this evening at the White House amid negotiations on the "fiscal cliff." The meeting comes with Boehner accusing Obama of dragging out negotiations on any agreement to avoid a series of wide-ranging tax increases and spending.
- A new report today suggests consumers were spending last month largely undaunted by the damage caused by Superstorm Sandy. The Commerce Department says retail sales were up 0.3 percent, reversing a decline in October.
- This Christmas travel season could be the busiest in six years. AAA predicts that 93 million Americans will hit the road. That is up 1.6 percent from last year and just shy of the record level of travel in 2006.
- American Airlines pilots say their CEO is making his case for remaining an independent company, but the union wants a merger with US Airways. The union says its board will meet with US Airways' top two executives next week. CEO Thomas Horton met for three hours today with directors of the Allied Pilots Association.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
4/22/2014 4:24 PM
The South Dakota franchise owner of Marco's Pizza plans to open a third location in Sioux Falls at 5007 S. Louise Avenue, next to Noodles &am...
4/22/2014 10:01 PM
Small businesses often are short on cash or credit and in need of funding. A California company is offering local businesses financing through t...
4/18/2014 5:55 PM
The first ticket sale to an event at the new Denny Sanford PREMIER Center proved to be a boon at the box office Friday
4/23/2014 6:00 PM
They continue to be a dying breed but not in Redfield. A family feared the local drive-in movie theatre would close and decided to take on the task of...
4/21/2014 10:07 PM
The Northland Mall has been a mainstay in the Worthington community for over 35 years. The dilapidated shopping center has a leaky roof, which could l...