Thursday Evening Business Brief
December 13, 2012, 5:23 PM
- Stocks declined today, interrupting the recent winning streak for the blue chips. The Dow fell nearly 75 points, or 0.6 percent, to 13,171. The S&P was down 9 points, while the Nasdaq slipped 22 points.
- The White House says President Barack Obama is meeting with House Speaker John Boehner this evening at the White House amid negotiations on the "fiscal cliff." The meeting comes with Boehner accusing Obama of dragging out negotiations on any agreement to avoid a series of wide-ranging tax increases and spending.
- A new report today suggests consumers were spending last month largely undaunted by the damage caused by Superstorm Sandy. The Commerce Department says retail sales were up 0.3 percent, reversing a decline in October.
- This Christmas travel season could be the busiest in six years. AAA predicts that 93 million Americans will hit the road. That is up 1.6 percent from last year and just shy of the record level of travel in 2006.
- American Airlines pilots say their CEO is making his case for remaining an independent company, but the union wants a merger with US Airways. The union says its board will meet with US Airways' top two executives next week. CEO Thomas Horton met for three hours today with directors of the Allied Pilots Association.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
1/28/2015 5:12 AM
Physician assistants topped the list, which has an average base salary of $111,376.
1/31/2015 11:43 AM
More than 2 million Toyota, Chrysler and Honda vehicles are being recalled for a second fix for faulty air bags that may inadvertently inflate while t...
1/27/2015 11:10 AM
For the first time in months, South Dakota's average gas price rose last week. According to a AAA report, the increase is due to a series of...
1/27/2015 7:30 AM
A Sioux Falls-based company hopes to more than double the number of egg-laying hens in South Dakota by opening a large chicken operation near Parker.
1/28/2015 6:00 PM
Queen City Bakery in Sioux Falls has developed a large fan base locally and now people from all over can experience why. The business is set to be fea...