Thursday Evening Business Brief
December 13, 2012, 5:23 PM
- Stocks declined today, interrupting the recent winning streak for the blue chips. The Dow fell nearly 75 points, or 0.6 percent, to 13,171. The S&P was down 9 points, while the Nasdaq slipped 22 points.
- The White House says President Barack Obama is meeting with House Speaker John Boehner this evening at the White House amid negotiations on the "fiscal cliff." The meeting comes with Boehner accusing Obama of dragging out negotiations on any agreement to avoid a series of wide-ranging tax increases and spending.
- A new report today suggests consumers were spending last month largely undaunted by the damage caused by Superstorm Sandy. The Commerce Department says retail sales were up 0.3 percent, reversing a decline in October.
- This Christmas travel season could be the busiest in six years. AAA predicts that 93 million Americans will hit the road. That is up 1.6 percent from last year and just shy of the record level of travel in 2006.
- American Airlines pilots say their CEO is making his case for remaining an independent company, but the union wants a merger with US Airways. The union says its board will meet with US Airways' top two executives next week. CEO Thomas Horton met for three hours today with directors of the Allied Pilots Association.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
10/29/2014 11:45 AM
Five Guys Burgers and Fries will open up a second location in Sioux Falls in the former Extreme Automotive building at 49th Street and Louise Avenue.
10/27/2014 11:10 AM
The three sushi restaurants that closed last week in Sioux Falls were back open for business over the weekend.
10/26/2014 6:00 AM
There are a number of big issues this election year, but there are also big issues that people won't be voting on next week, like raising teacher ...
10/28/2014 3:59 PM
A new month is right around the corner, and that means DealNews has released its list of the best things to buy in November.
10/27/2014 11:38 AM
The $5 million hotel called the AeroStay at the Sioux Falls airport is taking shape. Exterior walls are going up for the 76 rooms and the buildi...