Monday Evening Business Brief
December 10, 2012, 5:15 PM
- Stocks posted modest gains to begin the trading week. The Dow added nearly 15 points to 13,170. The S&P gained a fraction, while the Nasdaq rose 9 points.
- President Barack Obama is warning that he "won't compromise" on demands that the wealthiest Americans pay more in taxes. He's digging in on the chief sticking point between the White House and Republicans as they seek a way to avert the "fiscal cliff."
- Software company founder John McAfee says he wants to return to the United States and "settle down to whatever normal life" he can. He had a live-stream Internet broadcast from the Guatemalan detention center where he is fighting a government order that he be returned to Belize. Police in neighboring Belize want to question McAfee in the fatal shooting of a U.S. expatriate.
- Nike wants to expand its Oregon operations but wants the government to promise it won't change the state tax code. Gov. John Kitzhaber says he'll call the Legislature into session Friday to create a law to give Nike its wish.
- Benchmark U.S. crude fell slightly. Crude dropped 37 cents to finish at $85.56.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
7/23/2014 6:30 AM
605 Running Co., 124 S. Phillips Avenue, just opened its doors on Friday. It's a big grand opening for the store, but also for Downtown ...
7/22/2014 11:23 AM
A Central California company has issued a voluntary nationwide recall of specific lots of its fresh peaches, plums, nectarines and pluots over concern...
7/22/2014 6:10 PM
Sioux Falls latest Walmart store is preparing to open in just a few weeks.
7/22/2014 10:10 PM
78 million Baby Boomers are retiring or preparing to retire. The question they all face is when to draw their Social Security benefits.
7/21/2014 3:02 PM
Dethroned cyclist Lance Armstrong has been named the official grand marshal of the mayor's ride to kick off the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.