Monday Evening Business Brief
December 10, 2012, 5:15 PM
- Stocks posted modest gains to begin the trading week. The Dow added nearly 15 points to 13,170. The S&P gained a fraction, while the Nasdaq rose 9 points.
- President Barack Obama is warning that he "won't compromise" on demands that the wealthiest Americans pay more in taxes. He's digging in on the chief sticking point between the White House and Republicans as they seek a way to avert the "fiscal cliff."
- Software company founder John McAfee says he wants to return to the United States and "settle down to whatever normal life" he can. He had a live-stream Internet broadcast from the Guatemalan detention center where he is fighting a government order that he be returned to Belize. Police in neighboring Belize want to question McAfee in the fatal shooting of a U.S. expatriate.
- Nike wants to expand its Oregon operations but wants the government to promise it won't change the state tax code. Gov. John Kitzhaber says he'll call the Legislature into session Friday to create a law to give Nike its wish.
- Benchmark U.S. crude fell slightly. Crude dropped 37 cents to finish at $85.56.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
10/29/2014 11:45 AM
Five Guys Burgers and Fries will open up a second location in Sioux Falls in the former Extreme Automotive building at 49th Street and Louise Avenue.
10/27/2014 11:10 AM
The three sushi restaurants that closed last week in Sioux Falls were back open for business over the weekend.
10/26/2014 6:00 AM
There are a number of big issues this election year, but there are also big issues that people won't be voting on next week, like raising teacher ...
10/28/2014 3:59 PM
A new month is right around the corner, and that means DealNews has released its list of the best things to buy in November.
10/27/2014 11:38 AM
The $5 million hotel called the AeroStay at the Sioux Falls airport is taking shape. Exterior walls are going up for the 76 rooms and the buildi...