Monday Evening Business Brief
December 10, 2012, 5:15 PM
- Stocks posted modest gains to begin the trading week. The Dow added nearly 15 points to 13,170. The S&P gained a fraction, while the Nasdaq rose 9 points.
- President Barack Obama is warning that he "won't compromise" on demands that the wealthiest Americans pay more in taxes. He's digging in on the chief sticking point between the White House and Republicans as they seek a way to avert the "fiscal cliff."
- Software company founder John McAfee says he wants to return to the United States and "settle down to whatever normal life" he can. He had a live-stream Internet broadcast from the Guatemalan detention center where he is fighting a government order that he be returned to Belize. Police in neighboring Belize want to question McAfee in the fatal shooting of a U.S. expatriate.
- Nike wants to expand its Oregon operations but wants the government to promise it won't change the state tax code. Gov. John Kitzhaber says he'll call the Legislature into session Friday to create a law to give Nike its wish.
- Benchmark U.S. crude fell slightly. Crude dropped 37 cents to finish at $85.56.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
4/21/2015 5:18 AM
The longtime sprint car track near Brandon will be renamed Badlands Motor Speedway after the 2015 season.
4/20/2015 1:14 PM
The retailer released its Lilly Pulitzer for Target collection, and many stores were sold out within minutes.
4/21/2015 6:00 PM
Started back in the late 1950s, Huset's Speedway is almost as old as the dirt the cars race on. But that's about to change.
4/21/2015 5:03 PM
Plans are in the works for a 40,000 square foot athletic training center in southeast Sioux Falls. With the Pentagon and the new tennis facility...
4/22/2015 6:03 AM
The online retailer is asking the city of Shakopee for about $5 million in tax breaks to build the 820,000-square-foot center and warehouse.