Monday Evening Business Brief
December 10, 2012, 5:15 PM
- Stocks posted modest gains to begin the trading week. The Dow added nearly 15 points to 13,170. The S&P gained a fraction, while the Nasdaq rose 9 points.
- President Barack Obama is warning that he "won't compromise" on demands that the wealthiest Americans pay more in taxes. He's digging in on the chief sticking point between the White House and Republicans as they seek a way to avert the "fiscal cliff."
- Software company founder John McAfee says he wants to return to the United States and "settle down to whatever normal life" he can. He had a live-stream Internet broadcast from the Guatemalan detention center where he is fighting a government order that he be returned to Belize. Police in neighboring Belize want to question McAfee in the fatal shooting of a U.S. expatriate.
- Nike wants to expand its Oregon operations but wants the government to promise it won't change the state tax code. Gov. John Kitzhaber says he'll call the Legislature into session Friday to create a law to give Nike its wish.
- Benchmark U.S. crude fell slightly. Crude dropped 37 cents to finish at $85.56.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
10/22/2014 10:05 PM
Your options for sushi in Sioux Falls have just been cut by three. The restaurants mysteriously shut down this week, leaving customers and employees a...
10/20/2014 12:18 PM
Prime real estate on 41st Street in Sioux Falls is for sale. Valentino's Restaurant at 41st Street and Western Avenue has been listed for $1.35 mi...
10/22/2014 4:45 PM
Three sushi restaurants have all closed for business in Sioux Falls.
10/20/2014 12:31 PM
A longtime fast food option in Sioux Falls, the Long John Silver's restaurant is closing after more than 30 years in business.
10/21/2014 11:00 AM
Gas prices have fallen to a nearly four-year low nationwide at an average of $3.09 a gallon. AAA South Dakota says U.S. gas prices could drop to...