Monday Evening Business Brief
December 10, 2012, 5:15 PM
- Stocks posted modest gains to begin the trading week. The Dow added nearly 15 points to 13,170. The S&P gained a fraction, while the Nasdaq rose 9 points.
- President Barack Obama is warning that he "won't compromise" on demands that the wealthiest Americans pay more in taxes. He's digging in on the chief sticking point between the White House and Republicans as they seek a way to avert the "fiscal cliff."
- Software company founder John McAfee says he wants to return to the United States and "settle down to whatever normal life" he can. He had a live-stream Internet broadcast from the Guatemalan detention center where he is fighting a government order that he be returned to Belize. Police in neighboring Belize want to question McAfee in the fatal shooting of a U.S. expatriate.
- Nike wants to expand its Oregon operations but wants the government to promise it won't change the state tax code. Gov. John Kitzhaber says he'll call the Legislature into session Friday to create a law to give Nike its wish.
- Benchmark U.S. crude fell slightly. Crude dropped 37 cents to finish at $85.56.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
3/6/2014 1:10 PM
A Sioux Falls store is going out of business. The John Adam Collection gift and home décor store at 3401 S. Kelley Avenue will close by Ju...
3/9/2014 10:55 AM
Microsoft is preparing its customers for the end of technical support and security updates for its XP operating system.
As of April 8, Microsoft sa...
3/7/2014 8:38 AM
A company that has been making Black Hills gold jewelry for 136 years has been sold to another Black Hills jeweler.
3/7/2014 2:43 PM
GreatLife Malaska Golf & Fitness has added two more courses to its unlimited memberships.
3/6/2014 7:35 AM
This weekend's Summit League Tournament will bring thousands into the city of Sioux Falls. Area businesses are excited to see that rush.