Monday Evening Business Brief
December 10, 2012, 5:15 PM
- Stocks posted modest gains to begin the trading week. The Dow added nearly 15 points to 13,170. The S&P gained a fraction, while the Nasdaq rose 9 points.
- President Barack Obama is warning that he "won't compromise" on demands that the wealthiest Americans pay more in taxes. He's digging in on the chief sticking point between the White House and Republicans as they seek a way to avert the "fiscal cliff."
- Software company founder John McAfee says he wants to return to the United States and "settle down to whatever normal life" he can. He had a live-stream Internet broadcast from the Guatemalan detention center where he is fighting a government order that he be returned to Belize. Police in neighboring Belize want to question McAfee in the fatal shooting of a U.S. expatriate.
- Nike wants to expand its Oregon operations but wants the government to promise it won't change the state tax code. Gov. John Kitzhaber says he'll call the Legislature into session Friday to create a law to give Nike its wish.
- Benchmark U.S. crude fell slightly. Crude dropped 37 cents to finish at $85.56.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
1/28/2015 5:12 AM
Physician assistants topped the list, which has an average base salary of $111,376.
1/27/2015 11:10 AM
For the first time in months, South Dakota's average gas price rose last week. According to a AAA report, the increase is due to a series of...
1/27/2015 7:30 AM
A Sioux Falls-based company hopes to more than double the number of egg-laying hens in South Dakota by opening a large chicken operation near Parker.
1/25/2015 5:38 PM
Herding cattle. Counting fish. Taking an animal's temperature. Applying pesticides.
1/28/2015 6:00 PM
Queen City Bakery in Sioux Falls has developed a large fan base locally and now people from all over can experience why. The business is set to be fea...