Wednesday Evening Business Brief
November 21, 2012, 5:07 PM
- Stocks staged a modest rally ahead of the holiday, putting the key averages on track for solid gains for the week. The Dow gained 48 points, or 0.4 percent, to 12,837. The S&P rose 3 points, while the Nasdaq surged nearly 10 points.
- A bankruptcy court judge has approved Hostess Brands' request to begin winding down operations. The ruling came after the maker of Twinkies and Ding Dongs failed in last-ditch negotiations to end a strike by its second-largest union. That means that Hostess can now shed its 18,000 workers and sell off its brands.
- Throughout most of the nation, drivers traveling this holiday are finding lower gasoline prices. Auto club AAA says the national average for gasoline is $3.43 a gallon, down 44 cents from mid-September, but up from the beginning of the year. Gas prices are expected to continue falling through year-end.
- Toyota is recalling about 150,000 Tacoma midsize pickups because the spare tires can fall from beneath the trucks. The affected trucks from the 2001 to 2004 model years were sold or registered in 20 cold-weather states and Washington, D.C.
- Mortgage rates fell to new record lows this week. Freddie Mac says the average rate for 30-year fixed-rate loans fell to 3.31 percent, the lowest on records dating back to 1971.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
10/22/2014 10:05 PM
Your options for sushi in Sioux Falls have just been cut by three. The restaurants mysteriously shut down this week, leaving customers and employees a...
10/20/2014 12:18 PM
Prime real estate on 41st Street in Sioux Falls is for sale. Valentino's Restaurant at 41st Street and Western Avenue has been listed for $1.35 mi...
10/22/2014 4:45 PM
Three sushi restaurants have all closed for business in Sioux Falls.
10/20/2014 12:31 PM
A longtime fast food option in Sioux Falls, the Long John Silver's restaurant is closing after more than 30 years in business.
10/21/2014 11:00 AM
Gas prices have fallen to a nearly four-year low nationwide at an average of $3.09 a gallon. AAA South Dakota says U.S. gas prices could drop to...