Friday Evening Business Brief
November 2, 2012, 5:16 PM
- Stock prices dropped today, as investors took a more sobering view of the potential impact of Superstorm Sandy on corporate earnings. The Dow fell 139 points to 13,093. The S&P was down 13 points, while the Nasdaq shed about 38 points.
- Issuing a mixed jobs report, the Labor Department says employers added 171,000 positions in October. The unemployment rate rose to 7.9 percent, in part because more people were looking for work and not all of them found jobs.
- Oil settled at its lowest point in almost four months as two Northeast refineries remained shut after Superstorm Sandy. Benchmark crude fell $2.23, or 2.2 percent, to close at $84.86 - its lowest level since July 10.
- Shares of Restoration Hardware jumped in its first day of trading, as investors decided to take a bet on a familiar retail name and the housing recovery. Trading under the ticker symbol "RH", Restoration Hardware shares rose 29 percent.
- A new report finds that Google's Android software for mobile devices was running on 75 percent of smartphones shipped in the third quarter. Research firm IDC says Google extended its lead over Apple, which was second with a market share of 15 percent.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
10/22/2014 10:05 PM
Your options for sushi in Sioux Falls have just been cut by three. The restaurants mysteriously shut down this week, leaving customers and employees a...
10/20/2014 12:18 PM
Prime real estate on 41st Street in Sioux Falls is for sale. Valentino's Restaurant at 41st Street and Western Avenue has been listed for $1.35 mi...
10/22/2014 4:45 PM
Three sushi restaurants have all closed for business in Sioux Falls.
10/20/2014 12:31 PM
A longtime fast food option in Sioux Falls, the Long John Silver's restaurant is closing after more than 30 years in business.
10/21/2014 11:00 AM
Gas prices have fallen to a nearly four-year low nationwide at an average of $3.09 a gallon. AAA South Dakota says U.S. gas prices could drop to...