Thursday Evening Business Brief
October 25, 2012, 5:40 PM
- Stocks ended the session with modest gains. The Dow rose 26 points to 13,104. The S&P was up 4 points to 1,413, while the Nasdaq added 4 points to 2,986.
- Apple missed Wall Street earnings forecasts for a second straight quarter, with iPad sales falling short, ahead of this week's product update announcement. Apple says it sold 26.9 million iPhones in the quarter, at the high end of expectations, and 14 million iPads.
- Amazon.com shares have dropped in after-hours trading. The world's largest online retailer reported third-quarter results below Wall Street's expectations, including a large loss that was weighed down by its stake in LivingSocial.
- Yahoo says it has purchased mobile app developer Stamped, the first acquisition under new CEO Marissa Mayer. Terms of the deal were not revealed. New York-based Stamped runs a website and mobile app for customers to make online recommendations of their favorite things to read, listen to or eat.
- McDonald's will start selling packages of ground coffee at its restaurants in Canada next month. The announcement comes after the chain filed trademarks for "McCafe" ground and whole bean coffee in the U.S. last month. There was no immediate word whether it might also sell ground coffee in the U.S.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
3/6/2014 1:10 PM
A Sioux Falls store is going out of business. The John Adam Collection gift and home décor store at 3401 S. Kelley Avenue will close by Ju...
3/9/2014 10:55 AM
Microsoft is preparing its customers for the end of technical support and security updates for its XP operating system.
As of April 8, Microsoft sa...
3/7/2014 8:38 AM
A company that has been making Black Hills gold jewelry for 136 years has been sold to another Black Hills jeweler.
3/10/2014 2:51 PM
Monday's spring-like weather could bring in plenty of traffic for Yogurt City, which is located in the strip mall at Western Avenue and 41st Stree...
3/7/2014 2:43 PM
GreatLife Malaska Golf & Fitness has added two more courses to its unlimited memberships.