Friday Evening Business Brief
September 14, 2012, 5:18 PM
- Stocks closed higher, capping a positive week for Wall Street. The Dow today gained 54 points to 13,593. The S&P and the Nasdaq both rose nearly 6 points.
- Spain says it will present a new set of economic reforms by the end of the month, an indication the struggling country will soon ask for financial help. That's expected to be a prelude to Spain's tapping of a new European Central Bank bond-buying plan.
- Chicago's nearly weeklong teachers strike appears headed toward a resolution. Negotiators have emerged from marathon talks saying they have achieved a "framework" that could end the walkout in time for students to return to class Monday.
- Delivery times have grown longer as Apple and carriers today started taking orders for the iPhone 5. One analyst says expected delivery time from Apple had recently grown to two weeks.
- Crude oil rose nearly 3 percent this week. Benchmark crude today settled up 69 cents to $99 a barrel in New York.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
12/15/2014 9:56 AM
A Sioux Falls bakery is getting more national recognition. CH Patisserie has been named one of the top 75 bakeries in the nation by The Daily Me...
12/15/2014 10:10 PM
For more than two decades, Cliff Hangers Gallery has been a fixture in Sioux Falls. A couple of years ago, the business moved from Park Ridge Ga...
12/16/2014 1:36 PM
Industry experts say gasoline prices will continue to fall in 2015, but other prices are expected to rise.
12/16/2014 4:30 PM
Philanthropist T. Denny Sanford is donating $25 million to South Dakota for a scholarship program for the state's technical schools.&nbs...
12/16/2014 10:04 PM
Sanford's money provides half of the funds for a $50 million scholarship program at the state's technical schools to train workers to fill job...