Friday Evening Business Brief
September 14, 2012, 5:18 PM
- Stocks closed higher, capping a positive week for Wall Street. The Dow today gained 54 points to 13,593. The S&P and the Nasdaq both rose nearly 6 points.
- Spain says it will present a new set of economic reforms by the end of the month, an indication the struggling country will soon ask for financial help. That's expected to be a prelude to Spain's tapping of a new European Central Bank bond-buying plan.
- Chicago's nearly weeklong teachers strike appears headed toward a resolution. Negotiators have emerged from marathon talks saying they have achieved a "framework" that could end the walkout in time for students to return to class Monday.
- Delivery times have grown longer as Apple and carriers today started taking orders for the iPhone 5. One analyst says expected delivery time from Apple had recently grown to two weeks.
- Crude oil rose nearly 3 percent this week. Benchmark crude today settled up 69 cents to $99 a barrel in New York.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
5/20/2015 5:19 AM
Takata's decision to add more than 18 million air bags to existing recalls comes following pressure from U.S. safety regulators.
5/19/2015 2:06 PM
Demolition of the Burger King building will get underway June 1 and the strip mall will be complete in mid-October.
5/19/2015 4:10 PM
A new strip mall is coming to 41st Street across from the Western Mall. Lloyd Companies is taking out the K & H Car Wash, Mobil gas station ...
5/19/2015 9:45 AM
Raven Industries is reporting significant first quarter profit losses. Raven's net sales were down 31.4 percent to $70.3 million. Raven'...
5/21/2015 2:30 PM
AARP cites Sioux Falls' 25-mile walking and biking trail that loops the entire city, offering views of the historic core, as one of the reaso...