Friday Evening Business Brief
September 14, 2012, 5:18 PM
- Stocks closed higher, capping a positive week for Wall Street. The Dow today gained 54 points to 13,593. The S&P and the Nasdaq both rose nearly 6 points.
- Spain says it will present a new set of economic reforms by the end of the month, an indication the struggling country will soon ask for financial help. That's expected to be a prelude to Spain's tapping of a new European Central Bank bond-buying plan.
- Chicago's nearly weeklong teachers strike appears headed toward a resolution. Negotiators have emerged from marathon talks saying they have achieved a "framework" that could end the walkout in time for students to return to class Monday.
- Delivery times have grown longer as Apple and carriers today started taking orders for the iPhone 5. One analyst says expected delivery time from Apple had recently grown to two weeks.
- Crude oil rose nearly 3 percent this week. Benchmark crude today settled up 69 cents to $99 a barrel in New York.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
8/28/2015 6:00 PM
Homeowners aren't the only ones cleaning up flood water. Many businesses were also flooded out in Thursday night's storm. In fact,...
9/1/2015 5:08 PM
If you're one of those people who hates missing the end of breakfast hours at McDonald's, hang on just a little longer: the chain says its bre...
8/28/2015 10:10 PM
They are stately buildings in the heart of Sioux Falls that have sat empty for two years - but now, the former School for the Deaf property on East 10...
9/3/2015 2:30 PM
WoodGrain Brewing Company opens Thursday on the main floor of the DocuTAP building on Phillips Avenue.
9/3/2015 1:00 PM
The new location will replace a former Burger King near Minnesota Avenue and 33rd Street.