Descendants of a Native American man who died more than a century ago while touring with a western-themed show gathered to mourn the man and celebrate his remains coming home to a South Dakota reservation.
Twenty-year-old Albert Afraid of Hawk died from food poisoning in 1900 while touring with Buffalo Bill's Wild West show. He was buried in an unmarked grave in Connecticut. Family members weren't sure where he was buried until a history buff pieced together the details.
About 75 people gathered Sunday on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation to take part in a traditional Lakota funeral service and burial for Afraid of Hawk.
Lakota medicine man Rick Two Dogs says Afraid of Hawk will finally be able to journey to the spirit world
Most Popular Today
- 1.Retail & Restaurants
Hy-Vee Announces Updates To Sioux Falls Stores
- 2.Your Money Matters
Flights Cut/Airfares Rise Out of Sioux Falls
- 3.Retail & Restaurants
Women's Clothier Torrid Coming To Empire Mall
- 4.Recalls, General
Ford Recalls Nearly 423K Vehicles For Power Steering Problem
- 5.Retail & Restaurants
Caribou Coffee, Einstein Bagels Opening SF Location
Software Glitch Can Cause iPhones To Crash
- 7.Your Money Matters
Low Gas Prices To Fuel Summer Travel
Sioux Falls Ranked As Top City For College Grads
- 9.Your Money Matters
Fewer Flights Lead To Higher Prices
Wednesday Morning Business Brief