Sioux Falls Fire Rescue and the Sioux Falls Police Department are reminding people about the ordinance for fireworks in city limits.
Residents are only allowed to use Class 1.4G fireworks in city limits. That means they do not make a noise or have projectile or launching components. Prohibited fireworks include, but are not limited to, firecrackers, bottle rockets, roman candles and similar devices that project flames or explosives.
People who do not comply face a fine of up to $200 and 30 days in jail.
Sioux Falls Fire Rescue reminds those using fireworks legally to keep safety precautions in mind, including:
• Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks.
• Read and follow all warnings and instructions.
• Be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
• Only light fireworks on a smooth, flat surface away from the house, dry leaves and grass, and flammable materials.
• Never try to relight fireworks that have not fully functioned.
• Keep a bucket of water nearby in case of a malfunction or fire.