User uShare Login | Register
Login
Register

Along with posting photos, videos, and stories, your uShare account lets you post Classified Ads, recipes on What's For Dinner, and Announcements.


68° View Weather Current Conditions Sioux Falls Change Location
Set Weather Options

RADAR LOCATION

TEMPERATURE LOCATION

News

[0] My Saved Articles
Find local businesses
on the KELO Pages!

 

Mother Talks About Apartment Fire

March 30, 2012, 9:33 PM by Kelly Bartnick

Mother Talks About Apartment Fire
SIOUX FALLS, SD -

A hospital has become home for a Sioux Falls family Friday night. Fire forced them out of their North Elmwood Avenue apartment Thursday.

Nicole McKnelly was home with her eight month-old daughter and two sons around 10 p.m. Thursday when the fire broke out. She was asleep on the living room sofa while her boys were snuggled in their beds. The boys sustained injuries, but everyone made it out. McKnelly says the ordeal is just sinking in because everything the family had was in their apartment.

"[There was] wood crackling," she said. "As soon as I opened my eyes, all I could see was smoke."

Nicole McKnelly had her infant daughter in hand. She quickly got her to safety through the living room patio door. That's when McKnelly tried to get back in. Her boys were asleep in a back bedroom next to the bathroom where the fire sparked.

"I came out screaming hysterically. "my Kids, My kids. Somebody help me," she said.

And they did. Neighbors came from all directions.

"If it wasn't for them breaking the window, I probably would have lost my boys," she said.

Fire crews say the flames spread fast. It took multiple trucks and dozens of fire rescue members to put the blaze out. Now only a charred apartment remains.

"Clothes for my boys. They were crying about their toys and their school backpack was gone," McKnelly said.

She is wearing the only shirt she has left. It is still covered in soot under her hospital scrubs. But like any mom, McKnelly's first instinct is to protect Treyshawn, 7, who suffered first degree burns, Damon, 6, still battling smoke inhalation. 

"It's kind of been like a roller coaster," she said. "Up and down. Damon will be fine one moment, and now he's in O.R."

"I don't know what else I can do. There's nothing else I can do," McKnelly said holding back a tear.

The family hopes to be out of the hospital in a few days. They will stay with relatives after that. An aunt is coordinating donation efforts to replace lost items, especially urgent needs like diapers, baby formula and children's clothing.

Call 605-376-7260 to help.

Previous Story

Next Story




 
Find Local Businesses on KELO Pages!

View news

You may also like

Sutton Bay CEO Dies In UTV Rollover Crash

8/25/2014 2:34 PM

The CEO of Sutton Bay Resort in central South Dakota died after rolling his 2014 Polaris Ranger late Sunday night.

Full Story
Authorities Search For Missing Inmate

8/24/2014 10:43 AM

31-year-old Bridget Franzen failed to report to a work release job on Saturday, August 23.

Full Story
SF Mother, Daughter Admit To Large Drug Conspiracy

8/27/2014 10:54 AM

Faith Rasmussen, 21, and her 55-year-old mother Theresa Rasmussen admit they were bringing marijuana from California to South Dakota and distributing ...

Full Story
Car vs. School Bus Crash Near Inwood, Iowa

8/26/2014 11:31 AM

Authorities in northwest Iowa are investigating a serious crash involving a car and a school bus.

Full Story
Spencer, SD Man Dies In Rollover Crash

8/24/2014 4:41 PM

A Spencer, SD man is dead after a vehicle crash near Canova on Sunday.

Full Story


Events