Spontaneous Combustion Cause Of Deadly SD Blast
October 13, 2011, 6:38 AM
ABERDEEN, SD -
South Dakota's fire marshal says an explosion near Britton that killed two volunteer firefighters and injured a third was caused by spontaneous combustion in coal.
Twenty-two-year-old William Waldner and 20-year-old Jacob Waldner died September 15 while battling a coal bin fire at the Sunset Hutterite Colony. Jacob Waldner's father, Jack, was injured. The firefighters were on top of a building when the explosion blew off the roof and a wall.
Fire Marshal Al Christie says there was nothing the firefighters could have done to prevent the blast.
© 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
8/18/2014 11:35 AM
Sioux Falls Police have ticketed a 26-year-old driver for her involvement in a deadly bicycle crash last month.
8/13/2014 6:00 PM
We are learning more disturbing details about the former Walworth County State's Attorney, who's charged with raping three young children.
8/19/2014 11:13 AM
A Sioux Falls day care provider faces charges after a child in her care was hospitalized.
8/17/2014 11:30 AM
Authorities say a 23-year-old Illinois man who was reported missing in early August was found dead in the Black Hills National Forest.
8/14/2014 1:25 PM
Susan Schneider, wife of Robin Williams, says the late actor was in the early stages of Parkinson's Disease, along with battling depression and an...