User uShare Login | Register
Login
Register

Along with posting photos, videos, and stories, your uShare account lets you post Classified Ads, recipes on What's For Dinner, and Announcements.


50° View Weather Current Conditions Sioux Falls Change Location
Set Weather Options

RADAR LOCATION

TEMPERATURE LOCATION

Share your Photos, Videos, and Stories on uShare! Click here to get started.

News

[0] My Saved Articles
Find local businesses
on the KELO Pages!

 

Winter Raises Risk of Fire, Carbon Monoxide Issues

December 30, 2013, 9:55 PM by Jared Ransom

Winter Raises Risk of Fire, Carbon Monoxide Issues
SIOUX FALLS, SD -

Fires in a home are not dependent on a season. It doesn't have schedule and it is often unexpected.
The number of house fires, on the other hand, seems to spike when the temperatures get closer to zero.

"In the colder months, people start using space heaters and even during the holidays, they use candles and things like that and people are spending more time inside their home than they are outside," Sioux Falls Fire Rescue's Mike Top said.

Also on the rise this time of year is the risk of dealing with a silent killer: carbon monoxide.

"When you've got the furnace running and people are using fire places, definitely the carbon monoxide calls that we receive are predominantly in the winter months," Top said.

Taking steps to protect yourself and your family can be simple. Keeping a watch on any lit candles and making sure nothing is touching the space heater will lessen the chances of a fire. Regular maintenance of your furnace will help against carbon monoxide.

"Have your furnace checked up by a professional.  Check up the furnace to make sure that things are working the way they're supposed to," Top said.

As a back-up, be absolutely sure that your detectors are in working order.

"It's when you're sleeping at night and you're just unaware of those things, and you go to sleep and unfortunately you might not wake up, so having that alarm there to wake you up, to let you know that there's danger in the home," Top said.

There is an increased risk of a fire by having space heaters and candles in your home, but knowing how to properly use them will make your winter months much safer.

"That's a very easy thing to do and it's a good, it's good and it could save your life. Stay with the things that you're using and hopefully have a good and safe winter season," Top said.

While it is easy to blame candles and heaters for a fire, Top says some of the more common causes of a fire in the winter are related to cooking or smoking. Not ignoring what is on the stove can go a long way in preventing a fire.

Previous Story

Next Story


Comments







 
Find Local Businesses on KELO Pages!

View news

You may also like

Parker Teen Dies In One Vehicle Crash

4/12/2014 10:18 AM

16-year-old Tonya Anderson from Parker, SD died in a one vehicle crash west of Sioux Falls on Highway 42 on Friday.

Full Story
Woman Killed In Sioux Falls Home

4/16/2014 6:01 PM

Sioux Falls police are investigating a murder in the southwest part of the city.

Full Story
SF Woman Dies In Crash Near Brookings

4/12/2014 10:34 AM

A Sioux Falls woman died in a two vehicle crash on I-29 south of Brookings.

Full Story
SF Murder Victim Stabbed, Suspect Got Pills

4/17/2014 10:12 AM

Sioux Falls Police have released the names of the suspect and victim in the city's second homicide of 2014.

Full Story
Missing Girls Case Update On Tuesday

4/15/2014 7:15 AM

Authorities plan to release an update on the investigation into the 1971 disappearance of two South Dakota girls.

Full Story


Events

 
 
KELOLAND TV: 501 S. Phillips Avenue, Sioux Falls, SD 57104
Phone: 605.336.1100 · Breaking News call: 1-800-888-5356
Web Site Design and Custom Programming By: Lawrence & Schiller© 2014 KELO-TV -- KELOLAND.COM -- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED