Wednesday Afternoon Business Brief
September 19, 2012, 1:14 PM
- Better news on the housing market has helped the stock market to post a modest rally. It has lifted the Dow above the 13,600 level.
- Taken together, a reported increase in sales of previously occupied homes and word of further gains in home construction suggest the housing recovery is gaining momentum. The National Association of Realtors says sales of previously-owned homes rose nearly 8 percent in August to the highest in more than 2 years.
- Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein says austerity measures are not what the U.S. economy needs right now. Speaking in Toronto, Blankfein said that, quoting here, "you can't austere yourself into a higher GDP".
- Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates remains the nation's richest person by far. He takes the top spot on the Forbes 400 list for the 19th year running, with a net worth of $66 billion.
- Oil prices have dropped for a third straight day. Benchmark crude was recently trading below $92 a barrel in New York.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
10/22/2014 10:05 PM
Your options for sushi in Sioux Falls have just been cut by three. The restaurants mysteriously shut down this week, leaving customers and employees a...
10/20/2014 12:18 PM
Prime real estate on 41st Street in Sioux Falls is for sale. Valentino's Restaurant at 41st Street and Western Avenue has been listed for $1.35 mi...
10/22/2014 4:45 PM
Three sushi restaurants have all closed for business in Sioux Falls.
10/20/2014 12:31 PM
A longtime fast food option in Sioux Falls, the Long John Silver's restaurant is closing after more than 30 years in business.
10/21/2014 11:00 AM
Gas prices have fallen to a nearly four-year low nationwide at an average of $3.09 a gallon. AAA South Dakota says U.S. gas prices could drop to...