- Stocks have closed lower on Wall Street following two days of gains as investors focus on problems in Ukraine and Iraq. Energy stocks fell more than the rest of the market, dragged down by a decline in the price of crude oil. The Dow Jones industrial average lost nine points. The S&P 500 fell three, while the Nasdaq composite lost 12 points.
- Hundreds of thousands of people who signed up under the new health care law risk losing their taxpayer-subsidized insurance unless they act quickly to resolve questions about their citizenship or immigration status. The government warned today that they have just over three weeks to show that they're eligible.
- The federal government ran a lower deficit this July than a year ago, keeping it on course to record the lowest deficit in six years. The Treasury Department says in its monthly budget statement that the July deficit was $94.6 billion, an improvement of 3.1 percent from a year ago. For the first 10 months of this budget year, the deficit totals $460.5 billion, down 24.2 percent from the same period a year ago.
- A $2.4 billion resort that was widely seen as the last, best chance for Atlantic City's gambling market is shutting down. The closure of the Revel will throw 3,200 people out of work and hurt state and local budgets.
- A new study by Apple Inc., shows the company mostly relies on white and Asian men for its top-paying technology jobs. This breakdown, released today, advances the perception that the Silicon Valley's economic boom is largely excluding women, blacks and Hispanics.
Most Popular Today
- 1.Your Money Matters
Changing Face Of 41st Street
- 2.Your Money Matters
Downtown Sioux Falls Store Featured By Google
- 3.Gas & Energy
BNSF, Power Plant Owner Settle Long-Running Rate Dispute
General Motors, Subaru Models Added To Takata Air Bag Recall
- 5.Education Funding
Rutland School District Residents To Vote Again On Opt Out
City/State Development Partnership To Be Announced
- 7.Your Money Matters
Business Succeeding Online
- 8.Gas & Energy
Federal Commission Asked To Review Proposed Uranium Mine
Thursday Afternoon Business Brief
- 10.Your Money Matters
Sioux Falls Businesses Featured In Cookbook