Tuesday Evening Business Brief
December 4, 2012, 6:40 PM
- Stocks fell slightly in light trading as budget talks continued in Washington. The Dow dropped nearly 14 points to 12,952. The S&P fell 2 points, while the Nasdaq slipped more than 5 points.
- President Barack Obama says avoiding a plunge over the "fiscal cliff" will require Republicans to realize that tax rates must go up on wealthiest Americans. Perhaps indicating some leeway, the president said he would consider lowering rates for the top 2 percent of earners next year as part of a broader tax overhaul effort that closes loopholes, limits deductions and finds other sources of revenue.
- A federal mediator is being called in to help resolve an eight-day strike that has cost the economy billions of dollars while paralyzing the twin ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. The Los Angeles mayor says striking clerical workers and shippers agreed to mediation after an all-night bargaining session that continued this morning.
- Netflix's video subscription service has trumped pay-TV channels and grabbed the rights to show Disney movies shortly after they finish their runs in theaters. The multiyear licensing agreement is a breakthrough for Netflix as it tries to add more recent movies to a popular service that streams video over high-speed Internet connections.
- Crude prices edged lower. Benchmark crude finished down 59 cents to settle at $88.50 a barrel in New York.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
10/20/2014 12:18 PM
Prime real estate on 41st Street in Sioux Falls is for sale. Valentino's Restaurant at 41st Street and Western Avenue has been listed for $1.35 mi...
10/20/2014 12:31 PM
A longtime fast food option in Sioux Falls, the Long John Silver's restaurant is closing after more than 30 years in business.
10/17/2014 12:10 PM
A South Dakotan is a winner on the Allegiant Airlines' first in-flight game show called "The Game Plane." The reality show is film...
10/21/2014 11:00 AM
Gas prices have fallen to a nearly four-year low nationwide at an average of $3.09 a gallon. AAA South Dakota says U.S. gas prices could drop to...
10/15/2014 11:45 AM
Unglued: Christmas Market, will open in the space formerly occupied by the Book Shop in the Carpenter Building on Phillips Avenue from Nov. 20 through...