Tuesday Evening Business Brief
December 4, 2012, 6:40 PM
- Stocks fell slightly in light trading as budget talks continued in Washington. The Dow dropped nearly 14 points to 12,952. The S&P fell 2 points, while the Nasdaq slipped more than 5 points.
- President Barack Obama says avoiding a plunge over the "fiscal cliff" will require Republicans to realize that tax rates must go up on wealthiest Americans. Perhaps indicating some leeway, the president said he would consider lowering rates for the top 2 percent of earners next year as part of a broader tax overhaul effort that closes loopholes, limits deductions and finds other sources of revenue.
- A federal mediator is being called in to help resolve an eight-day strike that has cost the economy billions of dollars while paralyzing the twin ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. The Los Angeles mayor says striking clerical workers and shippers agreed to mediation after an all-night bargaining session that continued this morning.
- Netflix's video subscription service has trumped pay-TV channels and grabbed the rights to show Disney movies shortly after they finish their runs in theaters. The multiyear licensing agreement is a breakthrough for Netflix as it tries to add more recent movies to a popular service that streams video over high-speed Internet connections.
- Crude prices edged lower. Benchmark crude finished down 59 cents to settle at $88.50 a barrel in New York.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
5/20/2013 10:01 PM
Last month we told you about the Sioux Falls homeowner who was billed $10,000 to remove a few trees by an out of state arborist who didn't have a ...
5/17/2013 11:16 AM
Oh My Cupcakes! located on 4th Street and Main Avenue in downtown Sioux Falls is moving to The Bridges on 57th Street and Western Avenue.
5/18/2013 6:12 PM
You might need lottery winnings to pay for fuel as gas prices are poised to reach all-time highs in South Dakota.
5/22/2013 10:01 PM
The Empire Mall in Sioux Falls is in the middle of a major facelift. It has taken out more than $11 million in building permits so far for a remodelin...
5/17/2013 5:53 PM
The estimated jackpot for Saturday night is a record $600 million; the highest total in the game's 21 year history.