Thursday Evening Business Brief
October 25, 2012, 5:40 PM
- Stocks ended the session with modest gains. The Dow rose 26 points to 13,104. The S&P was up 4 points to 1,413, while the Nasdaq added 4 points to 2,986.
- Apple missed Wall Street earnings forecasts for a second straight quarter, with iPad sales falling short, ahead of this week's product update announcement. Apple says it sold 26.9 million iPhones in the quarter, at the high end of expectations, and 14 million iPads.
- Amazon.com shares have dropped in after-hours trading. The world's largest online retailer reported third-quarter results below Wall Street's expectations, including a large loss that was weighed down by its stake in LivingSocial.
- Yahoo says it has purchased mobile app developer Stamped, the first acquisition under new CEO Marissa Mayer. Terms of the deal were not revealed. New York-based Stamped runs a website and mobile app for customers to make online recommendations of their favorite things to read, listen to or eat.
- McDonald's will start selling packages of ground coffee at its restaurants in Canada next month. The announcement comes after the chain filed trademarks for "McCafe" ground and whole bean coffee in the U.S. last month. There was no immediate word whether it might also sell ground coffee in the U.S.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
10/22/2014 10:05 PM
Your options for sushi in Sioux Falls have just been cut by three. The restaurants mysteriously shut down this week, leaving customers and employees a...
10/20/2014 12:18 PM
Prime real estate on 41st Street in Sioux Falls is for sale. Valentino's Restaurant at 41st Street and Western Avenue has been listed for $1.35 mi...
10/22/2014 4:45 PM
Three sushi restaurants have all closed for business in Sioux Falls.
10/20/2014 12:31 PM
A longtime fast food option in Sioux Falls, the Long John Silver's restaurant is closing after more than 30 years in business.
10/17/2014 12:10 PM
A South Dakotan is a winner on the Allegiant Airlines' first in-flight game show called "The Game Plane." The reality show is film...