Thursday Evening Business Brief
October 25, 2012, 5:40 PM
- Stocks ended the session with modest gains. The Dow rose 26 points to 13,104. The S&P was up 4 points to 1,413, while the Nasdaq added 4 points to 2,986.
- Apple missed Wall Street earnings forecasts for a second straight quarter, with iPad sales falling short, ahead of this week's product update announcement. Apple says it sold 26.9 million iPhones in the quarter, at the high end of expectations, and 14 million iPads.
- Amazon.com shares have dropped in after-hours trading. The world's largest online retailer reported third-quarter results below Wall Street's expectations, including a large loss that was weighed down by its stake in LivingSocial.
- Yahoo says it has purchased mobile app developer Stamped, the first acquisition under new CEO Marissa Mayer. Terms of the deal were not revealed. New York-based Stamped runs a website and mobile app for customers to make online recommendations of their favorite things to read, listen to or eat.
- McDonald's will start selling packages of ground coffee at its restaurants in Canada next month. The announcement comes after the chain filed trademarks for "McCafe" ground and whole bean coffee in the U.S. last month. There was no immediate word whether it might also sell ground coffee in the U.S.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
10/29/2014 11:45 AM
Five Guys Burgers and Fries will open up a second location in Sioux Falls in the former Extreme Automotive building at 49th Street and Louise Avenue.
10/27/2014 11:10 AM
The three sushi restaurants that closed last week in Sioux Falls were back open for business over the weekend.
10/26/2014 6:00 AM
There are a number of big issues this election year, but there are also big issues that people won't be voting on next week, like raising teacher ...
10/28/2014 3:59 PM
A new month is right around the corner, and that means DealNews has released its list of the best things to buy in November.
10/27/2014 11:38 AM
The $5 million hotel called the AeroStay at the Sioux Falls airport is taking shape. Exterior walls are going up for the 76 rooms and the buildi...