User uShare Login | Register

Along with posting photos, videos, and stories, your uShare account lets you post Classified Ads, recipes on What's For Dinner, and Announcements.

29° View Weather Current Conditions Sioux Falls Change Location
Set Weather Options



 Winter Storm for November 30, 2015

Snow Outlook

Severe Weather

State Radar

Click here for local closings & delays

Send photos to

Storm Center Update | Sioux Falls News & Weather, South Dakota News & Weather, Minnesota and Iowa News

[0] My Saved Articles
Find local businesses
on the KELO Pages!


The Effects Of Carbon Monoxide

May 19, 2011, 5:56 PM by Ben Dunsmoor

The Effects Of Carbon Monoxide
SIOUX FALLS, SD - Several Sioux Falls youth hockey players were hit with the side effects of high levels of carbon monoxide after a practice at the Sioux Falls Ice and Recreation Center this week. More than a dozen players felt sick, and four of them went to the emergency room.

Inside an ice rink, high levels of carbon monoxide can be blamed on the propane-powered Zamboni that drives around the rink and smoothes the ice. Most of the time the levels are mild, but we learned this week there is always a potential for the odorless gas to pose a danger to players.

"So it's as if you're suffocating yourself because you can't get oxygen delivered to your tissues, and so that's what makes it dangerous," Dr. Beth Lapka, who works in the Sanford Trauma 5 emergency room, said. 

Lapka says carbon monoxide latches onto red blood cells and chokes out the oxygen circulating through your body.

If you're exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide, and taking part in a strenuous activity like hockey, the symptoms can be worse because the body needs oxygen during those times.

"So definitely physical activity can actually potentiate the effects of carbon monoxide exposure," Lapka said.

Tests showed the players exposed this week had levels of carbon monoxide between 14 and 17 parts per million in their system.

"Anything above ten we would consider to be a toxic level. Then, as the levels increase, say you get the levels near 30, those are exceptionally dangerous levels. At that point, you're usually seeing severe injury or unconsciousness," Lapka said.

But unless someone is exposed to high levels for a long period of time, Lapka says there shouldn't be any lasting side effects. 

"It's about the length of the exposure.  If it's for a short period of time and then those numbers drop, or you're all of a sudden out of that area, the effects are minimal if any," Lapka said.

That is positive news for the players who were exposed to the toxic gas this week.

Previous Story

Next Story





You may also like

Ronald Neels Sentenced To 75 Years In Prison

11/23/2015 5:59 PM

For more than a decade, nobody knew Ronald Neels was sexually abusing a victim inside his home near Garretson. The victim never said anything about th...

Full Story | Watch
Harrisburg High School Wins $100,000

11/25/2015 9:01 AM

Students at Harrisburg High School are celebrating Wednesday morning.

Full Story
Man Killed In Rollover Crash Identified

11/29/2015 1:05 PM

A Mitchell man has been identified as the victim in a rollover crash near Artesian, South Dakota on Friday.

Full Story
Tyrese Ruffin's Mother Speaks Publicly For First Time

11/25/2015 6:18 AM

In her first and only television interview, Doohen talked about her son, who she called the joy of her life.

Full Story
More Snow Headed To KELOLAND

11/30/2015 8:37 AM

Storms are tracking from the south along Interstate 29, and could dump between 6 to 8 inches of snow onto Sioux Falls, Mitchell and Brookings.

Full Story