Target Corp. said the Department of Justice is investigating the security breach at the Minneapolis-based retailer that's being called the second largest such incident in U.S. history.
The DOJ declined to comment on whether it's investigating Target, the nation's second largest discounter.
Target also said that it's teaming up with the U.S. Secret Service in its own investigation. Target said the Secret Service has asked the company not to share many of the details of the probe.
Additionally, Target said that it held a conference call with the state attorneys general on Monday.
The investigations and the call come after Target said earlier that data connected to about 40 million credit and debit card accounts was stolen as part of a breach that began over the Thanksgiving weekend.
Most Popular Today
- 1.Retail & Restaurants
National Pizza Franchise Coming To Sioux Falls
- 2.Your Money Matters
It Looks Like A Credit Card, But It's Not
Raven Begins Search For New CFO
- 4.Retail & Restaurants
New Boutique To Open On Wednesday
Redfield Drive-In To Stay Open
- 6.Retail & Restaurants
Empire Mall Seeks Vendors For Women's Event
- 7.Your Money Matters
Warning: New Twist On Grandparent Scam
Shifting Soil Causes Problems At Badlands Visitor Center
2014 Summit Championships Have $8.52M Impact
Study Shows Smartphone Addiction Is Rising