It's known as the "invisible" killer. Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless gas and very toxic.
Sioux Falls Fire Rescue recommends having one carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home.
Every year, more that 100 people in the United States die from unintentional exposure.
If you suspect you are experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, leave you home or apartment and get fresh air immediately. You should also call 911.
Safety officials say your detector is designed to go off before you start feeling sick.
“So don't be confused when the alarm is going off and think I don't feel anything. It's designed to go off before levels are at the point where you should be feeling something but take action because it's telling you something,” Sioux Falls Fire Rescue Division Chief Jeff Helm said.
Safety officials say some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness.