Spontaneous Combustion Cause Of Deadly SD Blast
October 13, 2011, 6:38 AM
ABERDEEN, SD -
South Dakota's fire marshal says an explosion near Britton that killed two volunteer firefighters and injured a third was caused by spontaneous combustion in coal.
Twenty-two-year-old William Waldner and 20-year-old Jacob Waldner died September 15 while battling a coal bin fire at the Sunset Hutterite Colony. Jacob Waldner's father, Jack, was injured. The firefighters were on top of a building when the explosion blew off the roof and a wall.
Fire Marshal Al Christie says there was nothing the firefighters could have done to prevent the blast.
© 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
5/23/2013 10:24 AM
Hand County authorities say the 81-year-old Pierre man who had been missing since Sunday morning was found dead.
5/19/2013 11:56 AM
The Hand County Sheriff’s Office is searching for Leroy Nye, who was last seen at 10:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 18.
5/22/2013 9:46 PM
According to the Hand County Sheriff's Office, Leroy Nye and the vehicle Nye drove have been found but no other details have been released.
5/19/2013 5:22 PM
Police are still actively searching for Leroy Nye, 81, who went missing from a home in St. Lawrence, SD and are asking for your help.
5/18/2013 10:14 PM
Emergency responders airlifted a Faulkton High School senior to a Sioux Falls hospital Saturday after a single vehicle car crash the day before her hi...