Sioux Falls Navy Week, July 19-26, is one of 15 selected cities where America’s Navy will “come home” in 2012, giving area residents an opportunity to meet Sailors and learn about the Navy’s capabilities and relevance to national security.
The U.S. Navy conducts Navy Weeks across the country to show Americans the return they receive for their substantial investment in America’s Navy. During a Navy Week, the Navy conducts a variety of outreach events (approx. 75+) in a metropolitan area, sharing the Navy story with as many people as possible.
The Navy plans to include the following elements in Sioux Falls Navy Week 2012:
- “Blue Angels,” The Navy Flight Demonstration Team
- “Leap Frogs,” The Navy Parachute Team
- Navy Band musical performances
- Admirals and other senior Navy leaders, who will engage with local corporate, civic, government and education leaders
- Navy simulator and other interactive displays
- Visits to area schools
- Community service projects and events with local sports franchises
- Visits with local veterans
Commemoration events for Bicentennial of the War of 1812 and The Star Spangled Banner will occur throughout the year, recognizing America’s Navy for keeping the sea free for more than 200 years.
Other cities hosting a Navy Week in 2012 are: Phoenix; New Orleans; Nashville, Tenn.; Spokane, Wash.; Baltimore; Boston; Sacramento, Calif.; Milwaukee; Chicago; Toledo, Ohio; Cleveland; Detroit; Buffalo, N.Y.; and Houston.
Watch videos and see more photos on the Navy Weeks website
Courtesy: Navy Office of Information