A western South Dakota school district has banned lanyards from elementary school students after a pupil wearing one began to choke on it when he got stuck in a swing.
The 8-year-old boy was wearing a lanyard backward around his neck when he jumped off the swing and the clip got caught in the chain.
The boy's mother told the station her son is going to be Ok and will probably have nothing more than a scar.
It was a policy at the Rapid City elementary school to give students a lanyard at recess before lunch hour.
Assistant superintendent Katie Bray says district officials didn't realize the lanyards' potential safety risks until the accident. She says the district has pulled all lanyards.
Most Popular Today
- 1.Livestock, Meetings & Events
Cattle Spooked By LifeLight Noise
Sioux Falls Ranked High For Job Seekers Over 50
- 3.Livestock, Crops, Agriculture
New Director Of SD Ag Services Division Named
Saturday Business Brief