A South Dakota man has been fined $3,000 and ordered to attend a class on worker safety standards after five workers he was supervising inhaled lead while working in Idaho.
The U.S. attorney's office in Idaho says 55-year-old John Wilhelm Myre of Garretson, South Dakota, was sentenced Tuesday by U.S. Magistrate Judge Candy W. Dale. He earlier pleaded guilty to negligent endangerment under the federal Clean Air Act.
Prosecutors say Myre was supervising five Dakota Southern Railroad workers who were using acetylene torches to cut apart steel beams on a railroad trestle near Kamiah, Idaho in January 2013. The beams had been painted with lead-based paint. The torches vaporized the lead and the workers inhaled it. One man was hospitalized with acute lead poisoning.
Myre's attorney, James Siebe, said his client had no training or experience with lead paint.
Most Popular Today
- 1.Retail & Restaurants
Touch Of Europe Permanently Closed
- 2.Retail & Restaurants
Pizza Restaurant Coming To Downtown Sioux Falls
- 3.Your Money Matters
Catholic School Tuition Hike Largest In Years
- 4.Your Money Matters
Eastside Restaurant Row
Protecting Your Car From Rust
- 6.Retail & Restaurants
Sears 4Q Loss Narrows, Sales Slide As Business Shifts
- 7.Retail & Restaurants
Zoup Planning Second Sioux Falls' Location On Eastside
- 8.Retail & Restaurants
Restaurant To Donate Contributions To CMN Thursday
FCC Approves New Internet Regulations
Looking At 2015's Economic Outlook