A Hutterite colony in southeastern South Dakota is dealing with the loss of about 600 hogs in a weekend fire.
McCook County Emergency Manager Brad Stiefvater that the animals died of smoke inhalation when a fire started in a hog barn at the Golden View Hutterite Colony on Saturday afternoon. He says embers from a nearby burn pit likely were sucked into a vent and started the fire in the ceiling of the 5,600-square-foot barn.
Stiefvater says some of the surviving hogs might die later if they develop complications from smoke inhalation.
Most Popular Today
Former Sioux Falls Executive Investigated For Animal Abuse
Westward Ho Country Club Changes Name
- 3.Your Money Matters
Bank Installs Interactive Teller Machines
Sanford And First PREMIER Bank Hosting Concert For Employees
Re-Zoning Signs Not Signal Of Sanford Expansion
Rosholt Ethanol Plant Operating After 18 Months
- 7.Your Money Matters
- 8.Meetings & Events, General
Uncorked Fundraiser Goes To The Dogs
Oil Conference Planned In Spearfish In October
Thursday Morning Business Brief