With power outages and a recent fire, the Rapid City Fire Department is reminding residents of fire place and wooden stove safety.
Around 7 p.m. Sunday night, the department responded to a chimney fire in the city. Authorities say build up and an obstruction in the chimney were to blame for the fire.
With the cold weather upon us, fire officials say now is a good time to have your chimney inspected and cleaned.
Officials also recommend you leave glass doors open while burning a fire. This makes sure the fire receives enough air and prevents build up in the chimney.
Most fire places have a mesh screen that should be closed while a fire is burning.
Last, make sure the wood is seasoned and stack firewood at least 30 feet from your home.