User uShare Login | Register
Login
Register

Along with posting photos, videos, and stories, your uShare account lets you post Classified Ads, recipes on What's For Dinner, and Announcements.


35° View Weather Current Conditions Sioux Falls Change Location
Set Weather Options

RADAR LOCATION

TEMPERATURE LOCATION

Share your Photos, Videos, and Stories on uShare! Click here to get started.

News

[0] My Saved Articles
Find local businesses
on the KELO Pages!

 

Mothers Lose Everything In Mitchell House Fire

September 26, 2012, 6:00 PM by Ben Dunsmoor

Mothers Lose Everything In Mitchell House Fire
MITCHELL, SD -

Two single mothers are picking up the pieces following a fire that ripped through their rental home.

It happened in Mitchell over the weekend. The women were able to escape but still lost everything.

The fire started in their rental home at the corner of E. 1st Avenue and S. Hunter Street early Saturday morning and it consumed the entire inside of the house.

Tanisha Jeno and her two-year-old son along with Chelsea Lutz and her three-year-old daughter had decided to move in together to help save some money. The two women and their toddlers are still searching for a place to live.

The fire started near the water heater in the laundry room and woke up another friend who was staying in the house who then woke up Lutz who had just finished working an overnight shift.

"This is what I got out with.  My clothes, with my hoodies that I left in the car that night when I got off work" Lutz said.

The two single mothers had just moved into the house five days before the fire. They didn't have renter's insurance and all they have now are the clothes on their back.

Fortunately, Jeno was in Huron that morning with her two-year-old son because her room in the house is right next to the utility room where the fire started.

"I thought maybe we would be able to take some things out of here, but then they let us look and it was heartbreaking that everything we worked hard for was gone," Jeno said.

The two women say the smoke detectors were in a drawer in the kitchen and hadn't been put up yet. And while they've lost everything, they say they're fortunate that no one was hurt and that they were able to salvage a few valuables and pictures.

"The one thing they brought out of my room, the only thing they gave me, was a picture book. It was shoved in the back of my closet," Jeno said.

"The important things, the things that really did matter, survived," Lutz said.

And that's all that matters to the two mothers who are now searching for a new place to call home after only living in this one for less than a week.

There is a fund set up for the women at the First National Bank in Mitchell.

Tanisha Jeno and Chelsea Lutz Fire Fund

First National Bank
210 North Lawler Street
Mitchell, SD

605-996-7755

Previous Story

Next Story


Comments







 
Find Local Businesses on KELO Pages!

View news

You may also like

Parker Teen Dies In One Vehicle Crash

4/12/2014 10:18 AM

16-year-old Tonya Anderson from Parker, SD died in a one vehicle crash west of Sioux Falls on Highway 42 on Friday.

Full Story
Woman Killed In Sioux Falls Home

4/16/2014 6:01 PM

Sioux Falls police are investigating a murder in the southwest part of the city.

Full Story
SF Woman Dies In Crash Near Brookings

4/12/2014 10:34 AM

A Sioux Falls woman died in a two vehicle crash on I-29 south of Brookings.

Full Story
SF Murder Victim Stabbed, Suspect Got Pills

4/17/2014 10:12 AM

Sioux Falls Police have released the names of the suspect and victim in the city's second homicide of 2014.

Full Story
Missing Girls Case Update On Tuesday

4/15/2014 7:15 AM

Authorities plan to release an update on the investigation into the 1971 disappearance of two South Dakota girls.

Full Story


Events

 
 
KELOLAND TV: 501 S. Phillips Avenue, Sioux Falls, SD 57104
Phone: 605.336.1100 · Breaking News call: 1-800-888-5356
Web Site Design and Custom Programming By: Lawrence & Schiller© 2014 KELO-TV -- KELOLAND.COM -- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED