Monday Evening Business Brief
December 10, 2012, 5:15 PM
- Stocks posted modest gains to begin the trading week. The Dow added nearly 15 points to 13,170. The S&P gained a fraction, while the Nasdaq rose 9 points.
- President Barack Obama is warning that he "won't compromise" on demands that the wealthiest Americans pay more in taxes. He's digging in on the chief sticking point between the White House and Republicans as they seek a way to avert the "fiscal cliff."
- Software company founder John McAfee says he wants to return to the United States and "settle down to whatever normal life" he can. He had a live-stream Internet broadcast from the Guatemalan detention center where he is fighting a government order that he be returned to Belize. Police in neighboring Belize want to question McAfee in the fatal shooting of a U.S. expatriate.
- Nike wants to expand its Oregon operations but wants the government to promise it won't change the state tax code. Gov. John Kitzhaber says he'll call the Legislature into session Friday to create a law to give Nike its wish.
- Benchmark U.S. crude fell slightly. Crude dropped 37 cents to finish at $85.56.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
9/3/2015 2:30 PM
WoodGrain Brewing Company opens Thursday on the main floor of the DocuTAP building on Phillips Avenue.
9/3/2015 1:00 PM
The new location will replace a former Burger King near Minnesota Avenue and 33rd Street.
9/1/2015 5:08 PM
If you're one of those people who hates missing the end of breakfast hours at McDonald's, hang on just a little longer: the chain says its bre...
8/28/2015 10:10 PM
They are stately buildings in the heart of Sioux Falls that have sat empty for two years - but now, the former School for the Deaf property on East 10...
8/30/2015 11:20 AM
A soybean farmer from northeastern South Dakota has been picked to help develop U.S. soy in foreign markets by the American Soybean Association.