Monday Evening Business Brief
December 10, 2012, 5:15 PM
- Stocks posted modest gains to begin the trading week. The Dow added nearly 15 points to 13,170. The S&P gained a fraction, while the Nasdaq rose 9 points.
- President Barack Obama is warning that he "won't compromise" on demands that the wealthiest Americans pay more in taxes. He's digging in on the chief sticking point between the White House and Republicans as they seek a way to avert the "fiscal cliff."
- Software company founder John McAfee says he wants to return to the United States and "settle down to whatever normal life" he can. He had a live-stream Internet broadcast from the Guatemalan detention center where he is fighting a government order that he be returned to Belize. Police in neighboring Belize want to question McAfee in the fatal shooting of a U.S. expatriate.
- Nike wants to expand its Oregon operations but wants the government to promise it won't change the state tax code. Gov. John Kitzhaber says he'll call the Legislature into session Friday to create a law to give Nike its wish.
- Benchmark U.S. crude fell slightly. Crude dropped 37 cents to finish at $85.56.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
3/22/2015 2:30 PM
The Burger King inside The Empire Mall in Sioux Falls is closing Sunday, March 22.
3/20/2015 1:00 PM
On Friday, workers served friends and family in the ground floor of the building that holds the DocuTAP offices.
3/20/2015 2:02 PM
Oggie's Grille & Bar in Tea will close Friday, March 27. The WR Hospitality restaurant was open less than 2 years.
3/25/2015 6:06 PM
The speed limit is only going up on stretches of road where the limit was 75 miles per hour, now going up to 80 mph.
3/25/2015 9:54 AM
Barbara Ortiz Howard already has a day job maintaining apartment buildings near New York City. Now she has a second job and it's all about money. ...