Monday Evening Business Brief
December 10, 2012, 5:15 PM
- Stocks posted modest gains to begin the trading week. The Dow added nearly 15 points to 13,170. The S&P gained a fraction, while the Nasdaq rose 9 points.
- President Barack Obama is warning that he "won't compromise" on demands that the wealthiest Americans pay more in taxes. He's digging in on the chief sticking point between the White House and Republicans as they seek a way to avert the "fiscal cliff."
- Software company founder John McAfee says he wants to return to the United States and "settle down to whatever normal life" he can. He had a live-stream Internet broadcast from the Guatemalan detention center where he is fighting a government order that he be returned to Belize. Police in neighboring Belize want to question McAfee in the fatal shooting of a U.S. expatriate.
- Nike wants to expand its Oregon operations but wants the government to promise it won't change the state tax code. Gov. John Kitzhaber says he'll call the Legislature into session Friday to create a law to give Nike its wish.
- Benchmark U.S. crude fell slightly. Crude dropped 37 cents to finish at $85.56.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
10/5/2015 10:02 PM
Our KELOLAND News investigation revealed some of the problems surrounding the multimillion dollar GEAR UP grant that caused the state to end its partn...
10/2/2015 3:14 PM
Phelps administered the GEAR UP program which prepared and encouraged Native American students to enroll into higher educaton.
10/2/2015 2:03 PM
Marco's Pizza filed a building permit to set up shop in a new stripmall on South Sycamore Avenue.
10/6/2015 6:05 PM
Half a million documents that are supposed to be on the South Dakota's Secretary of State website are not online. The current Secretary Shan...
10/5/2015 3:08 PM
On October 21, the same day Marty McFly traveled through time, the soda company is releasing Pepsi Perfect.