Monday Evening Business Brief
December 10, 2012, 5:15 PM
- Stocks posted modest gains to begin the trading week. The Dow added nearly 15 points to 13,170. The S&P gained a fraction, while the Nasdaq rose 9 points.
- President Barack Obama is warning that he "won't compromise" on demands that the wealthiest Americans pay more in taxes. He's digging in on the chief sticking point between the White House and Republicans as they seek a way to avert the "fiscal cliff."
- Software company founder John McAfee says he wants to return to the United States and "settle down to whatever normal life" he can. He had a live-stream Internet broadcast from the Guatemalan detention center where he is fighting a government order that he be returned to Belize. Police in neighboring Belize want to question McAfee in the fatal shooting of a U.S. expatriate.
- Nike wants to expand its Oregon operations but wants the government to promise it won't change the state tax code. Gov. John Kitzhaber says he'll call the Legislature into session Friday to create a law to give Nike its wish.
- Benchmark U.S. crude fell slightly. Crude dropped 37 cents to finish at $85.56.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
11/18/2015 10:27 AM
It's been a good year for Sanford Health System. So good, in fact, that the company is giving all of its 27,000 full and part-time employees a dou...
11/19/2015 11:00 AM
With ownership, Avera would become the second-largest health insurer in the state.
11/23/2015 6:05 PM
That means in addition to her state salaries at USD and Northern State, Duncan earned an additional $124,000 in contracts from the Department of Educa...
11/18/2015 6:00 PM
Duncan was also one of the independent evaluators for the GEAR UP program. She did that work for the University of South Dakota.
11/21/2015 5:43 PM
As more stores announce their Black Friday hours, the times are getting earlier and could even cut into your Thanksgiving meal.