Monday Evening Business Brief
December 10, 2012, 5:15 PM
- Stocks posted modest gains to begin the trading week. The Dow added nearly 15 points to 13,170. The S&P gained a fraction, while the Nasdaq rose 9 points.
- President Barack Obama is warning that he "won't compromise" on demands that the wealthiest Americans pay more in taxes. He's digging in on the chief sticking point between the White House and Republicans as they seek a way to avert the "fiscal cliff."
- Software company founder John McAfee says he wants to return to the United States and "settle down to whatever normal life" he can. He had a live-stream Internet broadcast from the Guatemalan detention center where he is fighting a government order that he be returned to Belize. Police in neighboring Belize want to question McAfee in the fatal shooting of a U.S. expatriate.
- Nike wants to expand its Oregon operations but wants the government to promise it won't change the state tax code. Gov. John Kitzhaber says he'll call the Legislature into session Friday to create a law to give Nike its wish.
- Benchmark U.S. crude fell slightly. Crude dropped 37 cents to finish at $85.56.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
7/29/2015 1:58 PM
An Allegiant Airlines pilot declared a fuel emergency and had to land at a North Dakota airport even though the airport was closed for the Blue Angels...
7/29/2015 9:53 AM
Just a year after opening on East 10th Street and Bahnson Avenue in Sioux Falls, Lick The Spoon restaurant has closed its doors. Angela Becker o...
7/30/2015 5:18 PM
A successful online retailer is opening her first brick and mortar shop in Sioux Falls.
7/29/2015 1:00 PM
Barber tells KELOLAND News while the plans still have yet to be finalized, they call for a couple of apartment buildings with eight to 12 units, as we...
7/27/2015 9:32 AM
The settlement also forces the car maker to repurchase more than half a million Ram pickup trucks built between 2008 and 2012 because defective steeri...