Monday Evening Business Brief
December 10, 2012, 5:15 PM
- Stocks posted modest gains to begin the trading week. The Dow added nearly 15 points to 13,170. The S&P gained a fraction, while the Nasdaq rose 9 points.
- President Barack Obama is warning that he "won't compromise" on demands that the wealthiest Americans pay more in taxes. He's digging in on the chief sticking point between the White House and Republicans as they seek a way to avert the "fiscal cliff."
- Software company founder John McAfee says he wants to return to the United States and "settle down to whatever normal life" he can. He had a live-stream Internet broadcast from the Guatemalan detention center where he is fighting a government order that he be returned to Belize. Police in neighboring Belize want to question McAfee in the fatal shooting of a U.S. expatriate.
- Nike wants to expand its Oregon operations but wants the government to promise it won't change the state tax code. Gov. John Kitzhaber says he'll call the Legislature into session Friday to create a law to give Nike its wish.
- Benchmark U.S. crude fell slightly. Crude dropped 37 cents to finish at $85.56.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
4/15/2014 4:10 PM
If you've got an Android phone, your device could be susceptible to the Heartbleed security problem.
4/16/2014 11:00 AM
The next time you order shrimp scampi of the menu, you may be in for sticker shock.
4/17/2014 10:54 AM
Plans are in place for JazzFest 2014 in Sioux Falls.
4/14/2014 10:10 PM
Drivers who've fueled up in Rapid City are being warned that their debit and credit card numbers may have been stolen after "numerous" s...
4/16/2014 7:15 AM
Perfect Practice Sports Academy is much bigger on the inside than what it looks like from the front doors. Soon, athletes of all a...