Monday Evening Business Brief
December 10, 2012, 5:15 PM
- Stocks posted modest gains to begin the trading week. The Dow added nearly 15 points to 13,170. The S&P gained a fraction, while the Nasdaq rose 9 points.
- President Barack Obama is warning that he "won't compromise" on demands that the wealthiest Americans pay more in taxes. He's digging in on the chief sticking point between the White House and Republicans as they seek a way to avert the "fiscal cliff."
- Software company founder John McAfee says he wants to return to the United States and "settle down to whatever normal life" he can. He had a live-stream Internet broadcast from the Guatemalan detention center where he is fighting a government order that he be returned to Belize. Police in neighboring Belize want to question McAfee in the fatal shooting of a U.S. expatriate.
- Nike wants to expand its Oregon operations but wants the government to promise it won't change the state tax code. Gov. John Kitzhaber says he'll call the Legislature into session Friday to create a law to give Nike its wish.
- Benchmark U.S. crude fell slightly. Crude dropped 37 cents to finish at $85.56.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
12/12/2014 11:41 AM
A family-owned chain of automobile dealerships located in Iowa, Montana and South Dakota will pay a $360,000 civil penalty for running deceptive ads.
12/15/2014 9:56 AM
A Sioux Falls bakery is getting more national recognition. CH Patisserie has been named one of the top 75 bakeries in the nation by The Daily Me...
12/15/2014 10:10 PM
For more than two decades, Cliff Hangers Gallery has been a fixture in Sioux Falls. A couple of years ago, the business moved from Park Ridge Ga...
12/16/2014 1:36 PM
Industry experts say gasoline prices will continue to fall in 2015, but other prices are expected to rise.
12/16/2014 4:30 PM
Philanthropist T. Denny Sanford is donating $25 million to South Dakota for a scholarship program for the state's technical schools.&nbs...