Mechanic Finds Problem With Zamboni
May 20, 2011, 4:54 PM
SIOUX FALLS, SD -
There's new information about what caused several youth hockey players to get sick while practicing at the Sioux Falls Ice and Rec Center Monday evening.
The city had a mechanic examine the Zamboni used to smooth out the ice on Friday afternoon. The mechanic found a problem with the carburetor that caused the machine to put out emissions above and beyond the normal level.
In addition, Sioux Falls Parks and Rec Director Don Kearney says staff at the center were not operating fans as instructed. Those two things allowed carbon monoxide to build up in the building, causing the players to get sick.
More than a dozen players felt sick, and four of them went to the emergency room. Tests showed the players exposed this week had levels of carbon monoxide between 14 and 17 parts per million in their system. Doctors say that anything above 10 is considered a toxic level.
KELOLAND's Ben Dunsmoor will have more on this story on KELOLAND News at 6.
© 2011 KELOLAND TV. All Rights Reserved.
6/17/2013 12:16 PM
Two people are in the hospital and one man is dead after a double shooting in Clear Lake, South Dakota.
6/17/2013 6:05 AM
Officials with the Deuel County Sheriff’s office are on the scene of a shooting near the Clear Lake, South Dakota area.
6/14/2013 11:42 AM
Sioux Falls residents Blayne Solberg and Joel Robshaw, both 22-years-old, were arrested at a home this week after authorities found 119 grams of a dru...
6/17/2013 10:36 AM
A Clear Lake, South Dakota, man shot two people before taking his own life on Sunday.
6/12/2013 8:32 PM
A two vehicle crash on SD Highway 10, about 20 miles north of Groton, resulted in the death of a Hecla teenager on Wednesday, June 12.