Officials with the Sioux Falls Fire Department say a mattress pad that caught on fire at the Macy's store in the city's mall forced the store to close for about an hour.
Authorities say Wednesday's blaze started after the material was pushed up against a fluorescent light. No injuries were reported.
Macy's employees initially knocked down the fire using an extinguisher. Firefighters removed the mattress pad from the building and ordered shoppers and employees to evacuate the store.
Large fans were set up to clear the smoke from the building and everyone was allowed back inside about an hour later.
Five fire trucks, two support vehicles and 21 firefighters responded to the scene.
Most Popular Today
Raven Balloons In Demand By Google
Sioux Falls Construction Named Manager Of New Pool
Internet Marketing Company Named Fastest-Growing Business In SD
- 4.Your Money Matters
Saving On College Textbooks
- 5.Meetings & Events, College, Summit League Tournament
Summit Basketball Championships Tickets On Sale This Week
- 6.Gas & Energy
Uranium Mining Company Must Release Survey Data
- 7.Health Care
St. Alexius To Partner With National Nonprofit CHI
- 8.Technology, School Supplies
School Apps For Parents
Feeding America Report Updates Need For Food In SD
Wednesday Morning Business Brief