Kylie Dahl bought her home a month ago, but her excitement for her house has not aged a day.
"It has a lot of character, it has a little archways. Things like that," Dahl said.
She does not want her first house to be her last. Right away when she moved in, she began to check all of the smoke detectors that came with the house. In some cases, she has replaced the batteries.
"Every room has one," Dahl said.
During this interview, she found she may need to get at least one new smoke detector. She tested it out, and it made a very quiet, short beep. This can make all the difference in a deadly situation.
According to Sioux Falls Fire Marshall, authorities found a smoke detector in the remains of the house fire that killed mother of four, Jennifer Donaldson. However, Lanier said it apparently did not go off.
"There was no indication from anybody on scene of whether, hearing the smoke alarm sounding," Lanier said.
Lanier recommends you have a mix two types of smoke detectors in your home. A photoelectric device is better for detecting slow-burning, smoldering fires. An Ionization device alerts you when there is a fast-burning, flaming fire. Lanier said you should have a smoke detector in every room, i.e. living rooms, bedrooms, and hallways; as well as every floor of your house.
"When we're in bed and late at night and in the evening is when we have most of these fires. It's important to have these smoke alarms while we're sleeping," Lanier said.
However, he recommends not having one in the kitchen, or within 20 feet of a stove; or near a bathroom, due to steam from the shower.
If you cannot afford a smoke detector, Sioux Falls Fire Rescue will provide you with one. You can also visit the department's website, or tweet @SiouxFallsFire.
Dahl said this device, and fresh batteries, are a small price to pay for the future.
"I definitely see this area and this home as something I want to invest in," Dahl said.