User uShare Login | Register
Login
Register

Along with posting photos, videos, and stories, your uShare account lets you post Classified Ads, recipes on What's For Dinner, and Announcements.


64° View Weather Current Conditions Sioux Falls Change Location
Set Weather Options

RADAR LOCATION

TEMPERATURE LOCATION

Share your Photos, Videos, and Stories on uShare! Click here to get started.

News

[0] My Saved Articles
Find local businesses
on the KELO Pages!

 

Keeping Your Home Warm And Safe

February 11, 2014, 6:04 PM by Ben Dunsmoor

Keeping Your Home Warm And Safe
SIOUX FALLS, SD -

Staying warm is especially important during this cold winter weather, but there's a chance your furnace could make you sick.

Homeowners need to be aware of carbon monoxide poisoning in the winter when furnaces are working overtime and cars are warming up in the garage.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that 170 people die every year from carbon monoxide that comes from household appliances.

"When it's not working right or hasn't been cleaned, it will fail more often," Troy Ripperda of Waterbury Heating and Cooling said.

A poorly running furnace can not only fail but it can quickly fill a home with carbon monoxide.

"It's a gas appliance and it can kill you if it's not working properly," Ripperda said.

Experts at Waterbury Heating and Cooling say a furnace needs to be checked every year to make sure it's not emitting carbon monoxide into your home. A yearly examination usually costs less than $100.

When KELOLAND News followed along to a routine check, Ripperda found a problem with the furnace.

"Her gas pressure is too high so she's burning hot and whenever you burn hot in an appliance, there's also a possibility you could crack the heat exchange, which would produce carbon monoxide," Ripperda said.

Fire officials also echo heating experts and say the best way to prevent carbon monoxide from seeping into your home is to have your furnace checked every year.

"A lot of times it will be furnaces need to be maintained. Anything that's combustible material that can burn has the potential to put out carbon monoxide," Sioux Falls Fire Rescue Division Chief Jeff Helm said.

Homeowners should also regularly replace the air filter and make sure snow and ice aren't building up on the vents outside, because if you don't pay attention to the largest appliance in your home, it could create a dangerous and even deadly situation.

Another main source of carbon monoxide in your home is your car, and with this winter's cold weather, you likely warm it up almost daily. So, just how high can carbon monoxide levels reach in your garage? We'll have that story in Tuesday's Eye On KELOLAND at 10 p.m.

Previous Story

Next Story


Comments







 
Find Local Businesses on KELO Pages!

View news

You may also like

Woman Killed In Sioux Falls Home

4/16/2014 6:01 PM

Sioux Falls police are investigating a murder in the southwest part of the city.

Full Story
SF Murder Victim Stabbed, Suspect Got Pills

4/17/2014 10:12 AM

Sioux Falls Police have released the names of the suspect and victim in the city's second homicide of 2014.

Full Story
Missing Girls Case Update On Tuesday

4/15/2014 7:15 AM

Authorities plan to release an update on the investigation into the 1971 disappearance of two South Dakota girls.

Full Story
Remains Found In Car Are Missing Girls

4/15/2014 1:39 PM

After more than 40 years, the families of two missing teenage girls now know what happened to them.

Full Story
Evidence From Car Led Authorities To Cold Case Conclusion

4/16/2014 11:35 AM

A more than 40-year-old cold case has been closed after South Dakota authorities announced on Tuesday the remains found in an old Studebaker submerged...

Full Story


Events

 
 
KELOLAND TV: 501 S. Phillips Avenue, Sioux Falls, SD 57104
Phone: 605.336.1100 · Breaking News call: 1-800-888-5356
Web Site Design and Custom Programming By: Lawrence & Schiller© 2014 KELO-TV -- KELOLAND.COM -- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED