User uShare Login | Register
Login
Register

Along with posting photos, videos, and stories, your uShare account lets you post Classified Ads, recipes on What's For Dinner, and Announcements.


53° View Weather Current Conditions Sioux Falls Change Location
Set Weather Options

RADAR LOCATION

TEMPERATURE LOCATION

Share your Photos, Videos, and Stories on uShare! Click here to get started.

News

[0] My Saved Articles
Find local businesses
on the KELO Pages!

 

Improper Use Of Candles Risks Major House Fires

October 23, 2013, 9:55 PM by Jared Ransom

Improper Use Of Candles Risks Major House Fires
SIOUX FALLS, SD -

The lighting of the Jack-O-Lantern is a Halloween tradition, but there are dangers that come with the use of those candles. It could be a scented candle or one simply used as a source of heat and light, if the warnings on the candle are not recognized, you are putting yourself in grave danger.

"Potentially, a candle with just a simple flame is no different than a blow torch," Beresford Fire and Rescue Chief Tarz Mullinix said.

They may seem innocent at first glance, but candles are the reason a home in Beresford went up in flames one week ago.

"Union County dispatch received a 9-1-1 call, which was transferred to them, and the girl said that her curtains were on fire. A candle, they had come in contact with a candle," Mullinix said.

That candle is the reason one family is now homeless, leaving significant damage to whatever was in the path of the flames.

"We probably have been in more than what we actually know, but it seems like probably once a year we will get a call where there is a fire involved which started by a candle," Mullinix said.

Candles are created in a way that the wax is used as a fuel to keep the flame going.

What happens if the candle is accidentally tipped over?

"One thing about a candle, it'll also burn horizontally, and as it burns horizontally, the wax melts five times as fast as it needs to be," Mullinix said.

That candle that tipped over could land on a newspaper, a piece of cloth or anything that is flammable. From there, the problem will only get worse.

"A fire that's burning in an open state will increase in size seven times a minute. So what starts out as a very small fire just inches in diameter will engulf an entire home," Mullinix said.

The result would be identical to the home in Beresford.

Having a candle in your home, of course, is not all bad, but there are certain things that you need to remember if you want to have a candle in your home and have it lit safely.

The biggest of those is to never let the flame leave your sight.

"Make sure they're extinguished. Give them time to cool, then double-check because simply blowing out a candle does not mean it's extinguished," Mullinix said.

One other safety measure that you can take into consideration is where you hold the candle. On the candles, the base of the glass is typically where you need to grab. The top of the glass could be 150 degrees or hotter, causing you to drop the candle and leading to a greater chance of a fire.

Previous Story

Next Story


Comments







 
Find Local Businesses on KELO Pages!

View news

You may also like

Parker Teen Dies In One Vehicle Crash

4/12/2014 10:18 AM

16-year-old Tonya Anderson from Parker, SD died in a one vehicle crash west of Sioux Falls on Highway 42 on Friday.

Full Story
Woman Killed In Sioux Falls Home

4/16/2014 6:01 PM

Sioux Falls police are investigating a murder in the southwest part of the city.

Full Story
SF Woman Dies In Crash Near Brookings

4/12/2014 10:34 AM

A Sioux Falls woman died in a two vehicle crash on I-29 south of Brookings.

Full Story
SF Murder Victim Stabbed, Suspect Got Pills

4/17/2014 10:12 AM

Sioux Falls Police have released the names of the suspect and victim in the city's second homicide of 2014.

Full Story
Missing Girls Case Update On Tuesday

4/15/2014 7:15 AM

Authorities plan to release an update on the investigation into the 1971 disappearance of two South Dakota girls.

Full Story


Events

 
 
KELOLAND TV: 501 S. Phillips Avenue, Sioux Falls, SD 57104
Phone: 605.336.1100 · Breaking News call: 1-800-888-5356
Web Site Design and Custom Programming By: Lawrence & Schiller© 2014 KELO-TV -- KELOLAND.COM -- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED